Unexpected Death

Lizzie71

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This morning I found one of my x-ray tetras dead, floating near the surface. No obvious symptoms, and he didn't have any marks on his body except that he was very pale, and looked white rather than the usual silver. This might just be because he had been dead a while, but it might be a symptom.

All other fish seem perfectly normal and happy. Test results today show:

Ammonia 0.1
Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 25
PH 8.5 (it is always over 8, this isn't unusual)
Temp 26

Stocking as below, except I'm down to 3 x-ray tetras :(

Obviously the ammonia and nitrite readings give cause for concern, in a tank which was previously cycled. Possible causes are:

1. I cleaned the filter sponges last week. Today I noticed I had left the filter on its lowest setting afterwards, which I have now corrected.

2. I have a number of plants which aren't thriving, one of which I have removed as it was falling apart.

3. I fed them live bloodworm last week and they didn't eat them all straight away (next time I'll know to feed half one day, half the next).

No new additions to the tank recently, and no obvious symptoms elsewhere.

I have done a 1/3 water change today and I can't see what else I can do other than wait and see if any other fish get sick, and keep up with the water changes if necessary. Any other advice?

I would do some water changes to get your ammonia and nitrite readings down.
As for the fish I would put it down to bad water quality, or just one of those things, as there nothing much to go on.
Good luck.

Yea its probably the water quality. For ammonia and nitrite nothing that isnt zero is good
Good Luck with the tank!

Most reactions

trending

Back