unexpected death of koi

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

koimom

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:rip: Up until tonight we had 9 beautiful koi, 2 plecostamus and 1 synodontis in our 85 gallon tank. We have been trying to get started on a pond asap as the largest one is as long as the tank is wide. All were hearty, healthy and hale. We did a partial water change yesterday along with changing pertinent filter media, adding correct chemicals, etc. Nothing different from the usual. Tonight we found one of the largest, a beautiful rose/orange with white tipped fins dead. When we fished her out of the tank, blood drained from her anus. We're heartsick over it. Checked the stats, and while the nitrates were a little high, nothing should have caused it that we can think of (no parasite exposure, recent additions, etc.) We did a partial water change again, added some Stress Free for the other poor fish, all of whom seem hale and hearty still. Any ideas of what could have happened? Yes, there are too many fish, but we have an AquaClear 500, a Penguin Emperor, and a Skimmer on the tank as well, so it is well filtrated over all. Also bubble stones for additional oxygen. Any suggestions? We don't want to lose any others!

Still don't know why "Ran" died. She/he was so pretty! Nitrates were high in the tank so I've done some major water changes, but everyone else still seems VERY healthy, thank goodness. I'm wondering if something went wrong with the swimbladder. My husband thinks that maybe this fish had a genetic time bomb waiting to go off. Whichever, I'll sure be glad when we can get the pond up and running. I'm not adding any fish into the tank--I'd rather be safe than sorry at this point with the 8 babies left! :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back