Unexpected Angelfish Babies! Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

J.M.S.

Reaction score
While feeding my fish in the 55g tank yesterday, I noticed Angelfish wigglers on a leaf in the tank! I have no idea what to do now. I read it is best to move them, but I don't have another cycled tank available. I do have my old 29g in storage, but it will take awhile to get it out, cleaned, and set up. What should I do? Will the babies be okay in the 55g?

Also, one of the parents appears to have developed Ich! I suppose from the stress of mating? I'm really worried. I want to be able to save at least 1 or 2 babies since I am quite proud I managed this without even trying, but I also don't want the parents to die.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

remove to spare tank and change some water daily they will not make much waste themselves but you will feeding them so it will need the bottom siphoning daily or even after each feed to keep clean, you will need food for them that needs to be relative in size obviously, micro worms are a good starter food but not always available easily unless you have your own culture started, baby brine shrimp are a good 2nd food but again unless your hatching your own they are not easy to get at short notice. liquifry can be used as a first food but it can turn the water quick so feed sparingly and keep careful eye on parameters.

A quick video of the parents taking care of the fry in the 55g. How long do you think they will be okay in the 55g while I set up the 29g?

Congratulations!

As the parents have got them to the wriggler stage, they shouldn't be in too much danger.

Don't forget, you can take a clipping of the mature media from your main filter to put in a filter in the fry tank; that way you won't have to worry about cycling it :good:

Congratulations!

As the parents have got them to the wriggler stage, they shouldn't be in too much danger.

Don't forget, you can take a clipping of the mature media from your main filter to put in a filter in the fry tank; that way you won't have to worry about cycling it :good:

Don't mean to hijack thread but curious to see if one of those breeding trap things that float in the tank would be suitable when this happens?

Congratulations on the new additions too :fish:

As an emergency measure to stop the fry being eaten, yes, but you couldn't keep angel fry in there for more than a couple of days.

Hello, and congratulations! Very nice Angelfish parents!

I suppose that, by now, your wigglers became free swimmers. So it's probably too late to say that you can't keep them in the tank, they will be eaten by other fish as soon as they free-swim and swim away from their parents. you should transfer them to another tank. Otherwise they won't survive.
Please keep us updated. And thanks for the lovely video.

Noura

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back