Understanding Built In Filter...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

rybrows

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just upgraded tank due to the other ones light breaking all the time sop upgraded to the aqua nano 130. The old tank was just a cheap thing to get me into it with a simple filter that slotted in the tank.Ā 
This new one has a built in filter that runs along the back,separated into about 5 sections, 2 sponges, then runs through ceramic tiles, then ceramic and carbon cartridgesā€¦Ā 
Ā 
In the last section i have the heater next to the pump which obviously pumps the water back into the tankā€¦. now the water level has dropped dramatically over the week, found out its the water evaporating and i need to replace with evaporated waterā€¦ what is evaporated water??? I tried topping up with normal water with the de-chlorinator in but just dropped straight back down.
Ā 
Second question is, what is the point in the ceramic tiles i have in the large centre section? i read elsewhere while trying to find answers to my questions that they can just hold nitrates after a while?
Ā 
Would i be better off removing these tiles and putting my heater in thereā€¦?
Ā 

I can't comment on what evaporated water is..... Sounds very odd as evaporated water is errrr, well not water anymore....
Ā 
Is your tank up and running with fish or are you cycling?
Ā 
The tiles are a type of bio media that will house the colonies of bacteria you need to keep the fish happy. Some work extremely well, others are just plain rubbish. I don't know where yours stand though in that sweeping statement... If you're up and running with fish then you shouldn't just chuck them away, this would cause an ammonia spike. Better to replace them bit by bit if they're not very good. If they feel rough to the touch, are very light and sound like charcoal when rattled together then they are most likely to be very good for your water quality. In which case keep them.

Yeh the "evaporated water" was in the manual! thought it was odd, just thought it was a term used...
Ā 
Technically the tank isn't cycled but isā€¦ i put my old filter from my old tank in as a 2nd filter to help it along for a month or so until the built in one is ready.

Be better to just put your old mechanical media (sponge) into the new filter, along with the new sponge. The colony will grow quicker in your new filter then and you don't need your old filter running if you don't have fish in there. You'll need to add ammonia though . Please say so if you know all this stuff :) If you do have fish in the new tank then it might be best to get your old tank running with the filter and start a fishless cycle in your new tank. You can take a small piece of the sponge from the old filter to kick start it.
Ā 
Having a large section for tiles, or other bio media, is a good thing in the long run. The exteria of the media will be good for ammonia and nitrite. Inside is where all the bacteria live that consume nitrate. Aerobic and anaerobic.... I don't think moving the heater in there will stop your evaporation problem. I'm a bit stuck on that, but someone with more knowledge will pick up and comment hopefully.

That's the problem I had, the old tank lights kept breaking down so replaced it with this new tank. I have kept the filter from the old tank until the new setup was running sweet... So unfortunately I can't go for the fish less cycle :(
Is my best bet maybes just to take out the entire filter media from my old filter, and adding that to one of the 2 sponge filters on my new one?

Don't know if it helps, but when transferring the water from my old tank (70litres) to the one does that help in any way? Wasn't all freshwater I used in the new tank (170litres)

Sorry for sounding dumb :/

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it

No don't worry about it. It's all good. Always ask if unsure :)
Ā 
Transferring the water won't make any difference. The bacteria you need doesn't live in it, but practically everywhere else. If you transferred your old substrate there will be some in there. Any plants will also help.
Ā 
Don't worry too much about it. It's by no means a disaster. Most of your bacteria is in the filter sponge and you still have that so happy days. Yes, put all the old sponge in the new filter, that will be fine. Make sure the old sponge is in contact with the new and even put a bit in the section for the tiles. Chopping it up is fine to spread it out. Just keep an eye on your water parameters and perform as big a water change as you have time if your ammonia or nitrite has returned. You'll probably need to do this daily if this has happened.
Ā 
Don't buy any more fish until you're fully cycled again, it will cause problems. It won't take as long as a starting cycle. Ā 

Ok I will put that old filter media into the new oneā€¦ will it make a difference which one of the two sponges i replace or will it not make a difference? Need to watch a video on cleaning the filters out etc as the manual does not show muchā€¦ the first sponge has got bit of waste in it now after a week of use, just don't want all the excess travelling through the rest of the filter to the ceramic tiles etc.
Ā 
Still baffled on that last section where the water level has dropped right down, I've moved the heater into the main tank for the time being, but water level still dropping and can't seem to refill it :/Ā 

sounds like a typing error to me but i might be wrong
Ā 
as for media anything with a huge surface area the better as this will house the good bacteria so keep it. if anything i'd get rid of carbon and replace with more biological media as carbon doesnt really serve a purpose unless youre trying to remove meds or tanning from bog wood?

Don't 'replace' any of the sponge. Just cram the old sponge into the new filter with the new sponge. If it's really too big then yes, put it where the carbon is.
Ā 
Active carbon looks like black, fine noodles. Short ones.... As stimo says, not needed.Ā 
Ā 
There's no rules as to what you put in your filter. Provided it doesn't interrupt flow or have a detrimental effect on your water quality, put what you like in it. Google 'aquarium filter media' and read till your brain achesĀ 
crazy.gif

Just tested the water there and no ammonia or nitrites there so so far so goodā€¦ I've also rammed the old media into the new tanks sponge, see how it goes!Ā 

Progress... Test daily and if it remains at 0 after a week you are cycledĀ 
yahoo.gif

Fingers crossed it does! Have to go back to LFS this weekend if it does, came downstairs to a cardinal tetra lying on the floor somehow managed to jump out the tank!!

rybrows said:
Sorry, typing error?
Ā 
When you say Carbon so you mean that long catridge like thisā€¦Ā http://www.fishpetsreptiles.co.uk/img/products/large/Aqua%20One%20Carbon%20Cartridge%2055c.jpg
Ā 
ā€¦ and when you say replace with more biological media do you mean put the filter media from old filter there instead? (sorry for being thickā€¦)
Ā 
typing error on the "adding evaporated water"?
Ā 
that looks like a carbon pad so yes.
Ā 
i'm not sure on the room and layout of your filter but what i was getting at was taking out the carbon to makeĀ  room for something more useful whether it be old media (if you have it ,great definitely ) or some new if you don't.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back