Underrated livebearer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wow, this brings back some memories. The kids used to catch these (or something very, very similar) with their hands out of the drainage ditch at the orphanage I worked at in Haiti. Probably would have tried keeping on in a tank if I could have figured out a way to get one through customs. Thanks for the smile. :)

Livebearers work well in my hard water but I just can't be dealing with a new batch of fry every month :/

I really like the unusual live bearers. I want to keep Skiffia Multipunctata one day.
I’m fascinated by the littleHeterandria Formosa. Dwarf Livebearers. Commonly named Least Kilifish for some reason over here bit Mosquito Fish in SE US where people just scoop em out of streams yet they fetch fortunes over here.
I’ve been watching them on YT a lot recently. Fascinating.
A pair went on eBay for about £50 inc p&p last week! Two females on there now.
Theyre shy apparently and I’ve 4 guppies in the tank atm I’m planning on only keeping small fish from now on with WCMM, Medaka and EDR in pole positions I’d love to try these though. Would they get on with the three named fish? Or even with guppies if I keep them.

There is one easy possible solution, get all males rather than mixed.
Will all male work with Platy? I was gonna do 10 male Endlers but I feel sad not keeping any of the platy fry I'm raising :/

10 male endlers or guppies yes, not a problem at all.

All male platies, am a bit unsure, I have a feeling probably be ok but you may have one or two aggressive males who may bully the other male platies.

But as long as the tank is densely planted, plenty hiding places and broken line of sight areas where a platy or two can escape to then I think should be ok.

But I’ve never kept platies personally so having looked online seems a bit of mixed reviews. However have seen a few replies stating the above advice so I would try that out and hopefully it works out.

Perhaps a member who has experience of this will hopefully comment on this.

Humpbacked limia is a very underrated livebearer. It has the body of a rainbow fish. there pro more I’m missing.
It's such a shame that more rare livebearers are underrated. I love Limias, no matter which kind.
DSCF7618.JPG

DSCF7624.JPG

Livebearers work well in my hard water but I just can't be dealing with a new batch of fry every month :/
Not all of them do well in hard water to be honest. But the majority does.
I’m fascinated by the littleHeterandria Formosa. Dwarf Livebearers. Commonly named Least Kilifish for some reason over here bit Mosquito Fish in SE US where people just scoop em out of streams yet they fetch fortunes over here.
I’ve been watching them on YT a lot recently. Fascinating.
A pair went on eBay for about £50 inc p&p last week! Two females on there now.
Theyre shy apparently and I’ve 4 guppies in the tank atm I’m planning on only keeping small fish from now on with WCMM, Medaka and EDR in pole positions I’d love to try these though. Would they get on with the three named fish? Or even with guppies if I keep them.
H.formosa do well with WCMM and Medaka. I don't know what EDR means. So, I can't tell you if that's okay to combine with them.
Yes, I know that they are also called mosquito fish while actually Gambusia species are already called mosquito fish. It makes it confusing.
Wow, £50 is very pricey for them. If you'd live closer, I'd say: Come and get some of them.
I'n my outdoor tank, I've got them combined with catemaco platies, WCMMs and Blue rio guppies. I've kept them in the ast with medakas and other rice fish to be honest. And it went all well.
H.formosa ain't that shy. Neoheterandria elegans are shy livebearers. But if there are fish that are too vivid in a tank, then the H.formosas will hide a bit more.
IMG_9566.JPG

Most reactions

trending

Back