Under Gravel vs Hang On Sponge filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DAnCSF

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello - I was wonder if anybody has compared UG filters vs Hang on Sponge filters...I'm looking to convert a 55 gal to a half tank and terrarium and looking for options for the aquarium portion. The tank portion would only be about 13 gals.

I like hob filters, mainly because im just more used to them - and I like how customizable the filtration can be. Never tried sponge filters but I hear good things.

I believe itiwhetu exclusively uses under-gravel filters, and could likely provide more info. about them for you (when he hops online at least, usually regularly).

Thoughts @itiwhetu?

*Edit - took out some long windedness

Last edited:
I do really like sponge filters, pretty reliable and easy to use

I use a Eheim canister filter (2217) and a sponge filter in my 55g. Love my canister. HOBs are fine, but never use undergravel filters. They are obsolete and dangerous.

I use internal mechanical filters usually eheim or haliea. For the undergravel filters I make my own using 1" PVC pipe. They run on an air stone. The sponge filters I use are also passive and run on air. The internal mechanical filters, I use a carbon cartridge when the tank is new, but dispense with it on mature tanks.

I like the undergravel filters as they passively move water through the gravel and drag fish waste to the plants roots. I personally don't like the use of an all sand base, as it limits water movement. I prefer to use gravel with a layer of sand on top, only in the areas that are visible. I try not to have any flat spots or areas where there is no water movement.

I still have one tank with an UGF system which works great, you have to do a good vacuuming every other week or so but it really does the job. I have run UGF for years without problems. I have also sponge and HOB filters and prefer the sponge over the HOB filter because of it's simple design -less can go wrong with it. I have had HOB filters draw in small fish and floating plants and then the motor burns out.

The undergravel filters used by itiwhetu are not the same kind as most other people mean by UG filters.
itiwhetu's are pipes with holes in which are inserted in the gravel - see the image in post #10 this thread https://www.fishforums.net/threads/filter-for-tank-with-sand-substrate.464084/
Other people mean the kind with a perforated plate with gravel on top, and water passes down through the gravel, under the plate and back into the tank via an uplift tube. Like this

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks to all for your input...so many varieties and ways to go. I think I'll go via hang on sponge and see what happens....

My father had a undergravel filter on his tank, this is years ago btw, and from what I saw, never had a issue and seems to be actually a pretty good system to have, but the only thing I would mention is that I think this works better with gravel type substrate rather than sand, especially fine sand as this clogs up the holes in the UGF base plate.

I am a fan of HoB filters tbh, had a C3 and Marina S15 and S20 on several tanks, chucked out the cartridges that came with the Marina filters and stuffed with sponge media and ceramics in a mesh bag and filter floss etc, did the job marvellously and access for pretty easy maintenance as well.

But for larger filter media and more water flow turnover then externals are hard to beat, especially good for overstocked or for large tanks, a bit more cumbersome for maintenance but plus side is only need to do this either every 2 weeks if overstocked or heavy bio load livestocks or once a month if normally stocked imho.

Most reactions

trending

Back