ulvaceous dormant period

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

panboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
can u preven the dormant period of on aponogeton ulvaceous, or for that matter any aponogeton?

ive read that it decides to go dormant after it flowers.
so if you keep cutting the flower stalk off everytime it tries to grow one, will it not need to go dormant.

it sounds ok, but then maybe the plant cant handle not going dormant even if it doesnt flower.

As far as I understand, the dormancy of a plant is much like our sleep patterns. Try keeping a mate awake and see where that gets you (hospital probably)! The plant has evolved with a requirement to rest in order to recuperate (sp.) It's part of the growing cycle for these plants.

WK

There are, in fact, a number of cultivars that do not need a dormant period. These tend to be costly though. Unless you have purchased such a cultivar, it will need a dormant period.

dang, that is not a good plant to have then...

I have had it for only a few months. Every couple days it would grow new leaves, and now it needs to sleep. what a lazy plant.

now i have to find a new center piece plant and i really liked this one. bummer

Take it out, throw it in the fridge for 2 weeks and replant it. It will start growing again. But cutting the flowers will stop that for a long time. I have had some go year with out stoping. Or if you want let it flower and take a toothbrush and brush the flower and let set in tank for 3 weeks then get it cold for 2 weeks and it will grow another bulb.

so you have cut the flowers for a year before? and the plant still lived for over a year?

so its not bad?, i read in anotehr of your posts taht "to promote healthy grown, cut the flowers"

If you cut the flower stems off, the active period gets longer, the plant keeps "trying" to reproduce, but after a while, unless you have one of the special cultivars, it will die down. If you do not allow any bulb development, even keeping it dormant might not be enough to get it going again, the bulb just doesn't have the "power".

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back