Uk Law On Tattoos

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Go to your local police station, tell them the circumstances and make sure they're aware of the infrequently used "Tattooing against minors act 1969" (yes, it exists.) It's an old statute but if I remember my training rightly (so long ago!) the only real defence is that the person didn't know the age of the person being tattooed. In this instance, being related means that that defence is most likely unavailable. The punishments are paltry but they are punishments.

Meanwhile make sure your son is caring for his tattoo. That means applying moisturiser to it, not picking at it etc. It's his body for life.

Strange place to ask, but maybe there are some law/policemen/women or tattooists frequenting the forum that might be able to help.

My 15yr old son has Ive just found out had a tattoo on his arm/shoulder area, this wasnt done by a professional place but by his 23rd old step-sister! Iam, beyond livid. I know the age is 18 in the uk and a shop/parlour I would be able to report, but how would I go about reporting his sister? He knows my feelings on having a tattoo and so does she, so they have both gone against my wishes.

Im now also looking into how much for laser removal of the tattoo.

You normally need adult consent to get it done. He had that so technically the shop was within their rights.

Strange place to ask, but maybe there are some law/policemen/women or tattooists frequenting the forum that might be able to help.

My 15yr old son has Ive just found out had a tattoo on his arm/shoulder area, this wasnt done by a professional place but by his 23rd old step-sister! Iam, beyond livid. I know the age is 18 in the uk and a shop/parlour I would be able to report, but how would I go about reporting his sister? He knows my feelings on having a tattoo and so does she, so they have both gone against my wishes.

You normally need adult consent to get it done. He had that so technically the shop was within their rights.

No, that's a myth. Adult consent makes no difference. You cannot tattoo a person under the age of 18 in England and Wales without prior consent of a qualified medical practitioner.

Mags I would agree with Simonas, hes the lawyer here. No offense to the others offering advice here but some are just kids our young adults at best and (myself included) have no idea how to deal with something like this.

As for Raptorrexs comments, thats just disgusting you cant make assumptions about people parenting skills without knowing them properly. The only person I would say qualified to judge here (not that Mags parenting skills need judging) is Star and I would doubt they would be friends if they were not decent people. Sorry mate but you really did disgust me here.

Hope it gets sorted,

Wills

Mags I would agree with Simonas, hes the lawyer here. No offense to the others offering advice here but some are just kids our young adults at best and (myself included) have no idea how to deal with something like this.

As for Raptorrexs comments, thats just disgusting you cant make assumptions about people parenting skills without knowing them properly. The only person I would say qualified to judge here (not that Mags parenting skills need judging) is Star and I would doubt they would be friends if they were not decent people. Sorry mate but you really did disgust me here.

Hope it gets sorted,

Wills

Just because they're a lawyer doesn't make them right.

Hope it gets sorted,

Wills

Whats more worrying is the fact that the 23 yr old clearly dosn't know the difference between right and wrong, or she does and has no respect for it or others. If this is the case, she should be punished.

Im sorry, where in my post did I say he had consent, I think you will find that I specifically said I did not want him to have it done, nor did I consent in any way and he knew full well my feelings on the matter. Plus, read again, wasnt done in a proper shop, his step sister did it herself, she does not own nor work in a shop and is not licenced to do tattoos, but has her own kit. (or whatever they are called in order to do tattoing).

Rapptorex, you dont know me, or how I bring up or look after my kids, so your comments are purely it appears to cause offence to me personally, therefore I shall just ignore them.

Wills, thanks and yes I have taken Simonas' comments on board.

Hope it gets sorted,

Wills

Whats more worrying is the fact that the 23 yr old clearly dosn't know the difference between right and wrong, or she does and has no respect for it or others. If this is the case, she should be punished.

Yes I agree but it's all being focused on the 23 year old, it's ludicrous to even suggest that a 15 year old didn't know what he was doing. My point is that your son won't get anything long lasting as punishment against his name, where as if you take the girl to court then she will which will just show the 15 year old that he can do what he wants and others will get punished, not him.

Ace, I get your point and believe me he is being punished by me but as you say, the law wont do anything to him. I do however believe, she shouldnt be allowed to get away with doing this, she had no right to permanently 'scar' my child, not only that, she could have done more damage than just the tattooing, she isnt qualified to do it, from what I have been told, did not use sterile needles nor fresh ink, but needles and inks that she uses on herself and friends that she does tattoos for.

Whilst they maybe related, she knew how I felt about him having a tattoo but completely disregarded my feelings, that fact he is underage and put him in danger, she had no idea how he would react to the ink, could have caused him to have scepticimia from dirty needles plus any other disease passed on through dirty needles. If she had punched or abused him in any other way, people wouldnt complain about getting her into trouble, but this to some seems an acceptable thing to do. Im sure many think Im being over the top in my feelings about this, but (although some people dont seem to think so) I am a responsible caring mother who only wants the best for her children.

If she can do this to him, who else can she believe she can do this to with no regard or consequence, Im #41#### sure if someone was to take her child and do something to her without her consent she wouldnt hesitate to report them regardless of the outcome to them.

Ace, I get your point and believe me he is being punished by me but as you say, the law wont do anything to him. I do however believe, she shouldnt be allowed to get away with doing this, she had no right to permanently 'scar' my child, not only that, she could have done more damage than just the tattooing, she isnt qualified to do it, from what I have been told, did not use sterile needles nor fresh ink, but needles and inks that she uses on herself and friends that she does tattoos for.

Whilst they maybe related, she knew how I felt about him having a tattoo but completely disregarded my feelings, that fact he is underage and put him in danger, she had no idea how he would react to the ink, could have caused him to have scepticimia from dirty needles plus any other disease passed on through dirty needles. If she had punched or abused him in any other way, people wouldnt complain about getting her into trouble, but this to some seems an acceptable thing to do. Im sure many think Im being over the top in my feelings about this, but (although some people dont seem to think so) I am a responsible caring mother who only wants the best for her children.

If she can do this to him, who else can she believe she can do this to with no regard or consequence, Im #41#### sure if someone was to take her child and do something to her without her consent she wouldnt hesitate to report them regardless of the outcome to them.

Well not using sterile needles is a totally different case imho, I could understand not prosecuting her if she was using a clean set-up and all precautions taken. But not sterilising needles is really dangerous and I do think you should take her to court.

yeah, that minor detail about the ink and needle sorta pushes me in the direction of take her to court, but still try not to screw her life uptoo,much,her frontallobe hasnt developed yet shes got 2more years :D

then again im 15 so what do i know right lol

First of all, any chance of a pic? Is it any good?

I got my first one at the age of 16 in a shop in Glasgow. I had to sign a form to declare I was aged 18 or over. This would have been back in 1993 thinking about it. My mum went mental when she found out, saying I would have to get it removed etc etc. But I stood my ground and point blank refused, because it was my choice/body/life. I think she was having a hard time dealing with me reaching adulthood. She hated me smoking too, looking back it was just my way of rebelling. I now have both of my upper arms fully tattooed and considering another. Got a few piercings thrown into the mix too :good:

If it wasn't the sister who done it, it would have been someone else. I'm sure she didn't have to pin him down to do it. It won't be long until he is 18 and will no doubt be getting more done as he goes through life. I'm not trying to defend either of them, just looking at the bigger picture.

mags you have my full sympathy love
i love my tattoos BUT wasnt very happy when my son announced he was having one.. i pleaded with him to wait till he was 18 ( hes 17) and thought he might have ,but nope, he went to the same place that i use ( thankfully) and got a large one on his forearm.. i really wish he`d waited, but if i had kicked up a huge fuss he would have maybe gone somewhere not so nice to get it.. just to #101## me off!
anyway 2 days ago he went to have the colour added ( to which i took him ) dropped him off and thought no more about it... #28### me, if the git didnt turn up with another one on the other arm
crazy.gif

hes a sensible lad and i feel he`s more than capable of making the choice for himself ( my 15 yo is now at it- but i can still catch him to belt him :D ) tho i still do wish he`d waited.. a lot of it is peer pressure< but it could have been worse.. a lot worse, he could have had a go with a needle full of sh*t down a dirty back alley and ended up dead.. so im kinda grateful for small mercys.
if i was you i would have ripped her face off at the first chance and placed it on my lawyers desk for what she did.. our kids are too precious to have some idiot even think about taking chances with dirty needles etc!!
make sure hes using cream on it a few times a day ( bepanthon is good) and keep an eye on it of course.. i would also be inclined to take him to the doctor anyway just for reassurance for you!

i know you must be feeling so upset with him, hes let you down in a way, but just think.. hes still with you and you can always chuck it in his face in an argument if nothing else :lol:

lots of love hun
shelagh xxxxx

I can imagine how angry you are, its very irresponsible of the girl!

I've had 3 tattoo's but im still 17. I do look over 18, but they never ask for ID.
As for my parents thoughts on it. They don't agree or disagree, 'its my body im ruining' apparently & as long as i don't get anything ridiculous (like stars on my neck, cringe) then they are fine with it. My grandma however, ROFL, she goes mad!

James.

I have lots of tattoos and got a new one recently.
When I was in the shop I was chatting with the tattoo artists and they were telling me that a few of the other artists in the area had been prosecuted for tattooing minors. Now I know this is different because they have a license etc. But it shouldn't be one rule for one and another for someone else.
Anyone who tattoo's a minor should be punished for it.

I'm guessing she doesn't have any professional training which is even worse, she would probably only have a little self taught training which would not be able to produce good results.

I definately think you should pursue this further and try to stop her doing this to other minors.

And while all the teenagers on here might be thinking different - Imagine if she tattooed you using dirty needles and dirty ink and you ended up dying from septicemia - would it still be worth the risk?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back