UK - Avian Flu Outbreak - Nov 29 - New Rules Keeping Birds Inside

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
D

Deleted member 149562

Just when you thought it was safe to fly out of the aviary.....

This is taken from the above....

"
The Chief Veterinary Officers for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have agreed to bring in new housing measures to protect poultry and captive birds from avian influenza following a number of confirmed cases across Great Britain in recent weeks.

The new housing measures, which will come into force on Monday 29 November, mean that it will be a legal requirement for all bird keepers across the UK to keep their birds indoors and to follow strict biosecurity measures in order to limit the spread of and eradicate the disease.

Wild birds migrating to the UK from mainland Europe during the winter months can carry the disease and this can lead to cases in poultry and other captive birds."

Welcome to the second major pandemic, which should take off in about 5 years time :(

I live within an exclusion zone, noticed the signs go up a few weeks ago, fortunately I don't keep birds...

That’s crazy! Does it apply to poultry such as chickens or ducks? How would anyone keep chickens inside? I don’t live in the uk but was interested in this topic

Does it apply to poultry such as chickens or ducks? How would anyone keep chickens inside?
Yes it applies to all birds including poultry.

You need to cover the aviaries with some sort of roofing (tin sheets). This stops wild birds poop getting into an aviary.

Most chicken farms keep the birds indoors in giant sheds at night, and let them out to wander around during the day. They will probably have to keep them in the sheds permanently now or provide covered areas outside.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back