Uh Oh, What's Happening To My Plants?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Of course, it depends on the point of view and also how to create a balance in the tank taking into account all factors for the particular case. More light would cause more demand for nutritients and CO2, lack of flow would cause some plants not to get any, etc.. so decreasing the value of one factor or increasing the other is needed depending on the situation and one needs to find the balance between all. But all the CO2, fertilisers and flow in a tank regardless of the combination won't fix a problem caused by bad lights or lights emitting in the wrong wave length so in my case I am starting with changing the lights first as it seems that with ferts and CO2 or without I still have algae although the type of algae is different in both cases.

In the original poster's case, he's been advised to fix the flow in the tank and that should solve the problem but no one so far at all mentioned lights.
What I see is he's injecting CO2 and dosing fertilisers but he runs just two of his 54W lights for 6 hours and then another two 54W lights for 4 hours so in any given time he's got only 108W of light.
So far he's been advised to increase the flow (which does seem quite low in his case alright and would be beneficial regardless of whether it causes algae or not)
But then he's been advised to change water with the lights off and additionally dose with liquid carbon(Excel) to kill the aglae.

If you ask me, first of all in a hight tech tank you would think you want to run all your 4X54W tubes at the same time for at least 8 hours for a start so again to me it seems he's got a light problem first of all.

Not the case, you dont need high light to be high tech, the factors he has changed and advice given will cure it any money.

He guys - I've been dosing with excel for 3 days now and the algae is starting to turn a reddish colour. Is this normal?

Yeah its dying mate. Whoop Whoop your winning the battle.
59.gif

Hey guys, Is flourish [background=rgb(255, 255, 0)]excel[/background] definately the one to go for to get rid of hair algae? It's just that it's cheaper for me to get easy carbo?

cheers

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back