Ugly algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fiddlesticks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well as some folks know I got a free tank a while back. It was in a bad state when I picked it up. Did it ever stink. And it looked like it hadnt been vacuumed in a year. It came with 3 id sharks so I kept the gravel and some water so I wouldnt have to put them through the cycle seeing as I had nowhere to move them to. It also came with a bad algae problem. Iv cleaned the sides a million times. vacuumed it a million times but just cant get rid of the algae. Some of it seems to be turning a redish purple colour.

Has anyone ever seen algae like that?
Is there a safe way to get rid of it without chemicals?

Thanks
Fiddle

how big is the tank.

I don't know about the color but if it smells it's like green-blue algae (I think that's what it's called and it isn't always that color so...) which isn't actualy algae at all but some kind of bacteria (once again - if I remember correctly). This particular kind can be dangerous because (if I remember correctly...) it can release some kind of toxin into the water.
I'd begin by removeing the sharks (take them to your local fish store). Take out the filter and run it in a bucket of tank water with some fish food or pure ammonia or a frozen prawn to keep the beneficial bacteria alive. If you want the sharks, you could put those in the bucket temporarily and use them as your source of ammonia - but then you need to do the next part as quickly as possible so as not to stress them out (plus I'm not certain whether this would be practical if they are big)Then empty and clean out the tank, ornaments, gravel etc. I know that sounds like a lot of pointless work but tanks with that sort of algae tend to have it for a reason. Decreasing feeding, turning off the lights and covering the tank for a few days to keep out sunlight might help but I think your best option would be a realy thorough clean - and you get a chance to re-think your set-up and maybe change some things around (maybe get sand... lol).
On the other hand - I may have completely mis-identified the algae :).
If it's ordinary algae - get some otos (depending on the sharks of course) or some SAEs or some FFs or some FSAEs or a bristlenose plec, bulldog plec, temporary golden/chinese algae eater (temporary cause of aggression as it matures and size - 10").
If it's ordinary algae, also test your tap water for excessive phosphates and reduce your 'daylight' hours to about 7-8 and reduce feeding as well.

I hate algae :p - after growing some in my tank especialy for some new otos, I decided not to get any after all!!! Oh the frustration... so I cleaned it up with a sock :p Yeah, anyway - it took me for EVER to get the algae to grow... Then I didn't need it! Then I had to get rid of it... Ok. Rant over.

Wilder - In this person's signature it says the tank is 40 gallons... I hope those sharks are still small.

I thought it may be more than just plain algae, as the tank was in bad shape when I got it. I have taken the filter out and cleaned it. But I think whatever it is will come back because I cant drain and clean the whole tank.The sharks are still small. About 3 inches each. As I mentioned the sharks came with the tank. It was actually way over stocked when they had it and was terribly smelly. They managed to give away all the other fish except for the sharks so they came with the tank. I have tried to give them away which would let me completely clean the tank but not even my lfs will take them cuz I didnt buy them there. Needless to say I am not about to put them down just because I dont really want them. I know I will have to find a way to rehouse them eventually.
I think your right though I may have to put them in a bucket strip the whole thing down and cycle it again. Ill have to just do tons of water changes at first to keep the toxins down . This will be difficult though because anyone whos had id sharks knows they get very very stressed very easily, and a prone to hurt themselves by frantically swimming into the walls when they get spooked.
Thanks for the info so far guys. Any other suggestions or tricks on how to do this with as little stress on the sharks as possible are appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back