• I dont know

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • What this is

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vita Powlison

Reaction score
EB3B98B1-BD16-49E2-B528-9C736BF7BF34.jpeg
I have an 8,000 pond. This fish is so ugly , do you know what is wrong with it? Within the last month I have treated twice with Aqua Prozi for flukes. And also a broad spectrum disease treatment twice. I seriously wish I would have just caught this fish and used it for fertilizer, Ive noticed now 2 other fish are developing what looks like cataracts. Its so expensive to treat the pond. 250.00 for enough meds for flukes and another 120 for BSDT . I was hoping that between the two different treatments it would cover whatever the problem is. I have tried to look up and recognize this disease or parasite and can not find it.
Your Diagnoses is appreciated.

Attachments

• 53FA36C6-DF49-4DF8-9F9A-CF70F82ADE44.jpeg
    53FA36C6-DF49-4DF8-9F9A-CF70F82ADE44.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 461
  • 9285E406-AADB-4CC9-9709-9EADECDDCFA8.jpeg
    9285E406-AADB-4CC9-9709-9EADECDDCFA8.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 655
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 381
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 430
What are we looking at, the white patches on the fish's head and pectoral fins?

It looks like excess mucous, which is usually caused by poor water quality or chemicals in the water. Overdosing fish when treating can cause this.

The best treatment is big regular water changes to dilute anything in the water. If there is no improvement after a couple of big water changes, then add salt.

The best general treatment for koi carp and goldfish is salt. It treats a range of things from gill flukes, anchor worm, external protozoan infections, fungal and minor bacterial infections. It's also safer for the fish than using random medications to treat an unknown disease.

--------------------------
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that.

--------------------------
When photographing fish in ponds, try to use a polarising filter on the camera. If you don't have that, then put a pr of sunglasses with polarising lenses in front of the camera lens, and angle the glasses until you get rid of the white reflection on the surface. Then take the picture.

Thank you Colin, and King Z . I will try to get better photos, it was cold cloudy and yucky out , thanks for the sunglasses trick suggestion. Photos to follow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back