UGJ - Under Gravel Jets

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rivermud76

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Under-Gravel Jet System

One of the biggest problems in most tanks is the removal of detrious that settles in the gravel or substrate. Aquarium owners around the world all have their own unique ways of dealing with this issue. Most people tend to use a gravel vacuum such as a python; they stir the substrate and use the vacuum to collect the now floating detrious. The problem with this is that you just can’t ever seem to get it all out or clean it up well enough…. So the detrious that wasn’t collected now settles back down into the gravel or gets sucked up into your freshly changed filter. This is where the UGJ system really shines.

A UGJ is a set of jets that are situated under your substrate. Their main function is water circulation. The jet heads, which are angled slightly upward, and are just above the substrate, force water in the specified direction. This “current” helps prevent detrious from settling in the substrate and helps prevent dead spots in the tank which cause unhealthy stagnant water pockets. The detrious is circulated around the tank until it eventually finds its way into one of the mechanical filtration units.

The UGJ:

Materials Needed for the Project:

1. Length of ½-1” PVP pipe (length depends on the size of your system)
2. Selection of “T” joints and Elbow Joints for the size of PVC that you are using
3. Hack Saw or some other saw to be used for cutting the PVC
4. Flexible Modular tubing, an example can be found here. http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseac...d/8059/cid/2109
5. Silicon

Getting the tank ready:

I suggest that you remove everything from the tank. The UGJ should rest flat on the bottom of the aquarium. Plan out how you wish to layout the tank on paper. Be sure to mark where you wish to place rocks, plants, other decorations, and filters. This is imperative because your UGJ will be designed for water flow around these obstacles. Most people also wish to hide the pre-filter for the UGJ behind a rock or plant.

Once you have the plans drawn out you are ready to begin laying out your UGJ’s. I prefer to use a Closed Loop system. Imagine a circle; everything flows in a continuous pattern until release by some hole in the circle. Some people like to use In-Line systems where the jet is at the end of line of jets. The problem with this setup is that it is very hard to regulate pressure to each one of the jets and invariably one will be much more powerful than another. The image below shows an In-Line system.

In Line UGJ
full_jets_resized.jpg

As you can see the jets are directional and can be pointed in any direction for the best results. Another added benefit to the flexible jets is that you won’t have to completely rebuild your UGJ system if you choose to severely re-decorate your aquarium, just point the nozzle in the correct direction. The system shown above would not have equal pressure to all jets becuase it's not in a closed loop. For equalize the pressure to all jets just make sure that there is not end point in the line; meaning connect all of the PVC together to form a close circuit thus making pressure in all parts of the circuit equal.

The system detailed here works using the return from your canister filter or sump pump. The system can be modified to use a power head and DIY in tank pre-filter. Just hook the pre-filter to the intake of the power head and hook the jet systems to the output and viola instant UGJ.

Wonderful things happen to your tank with proper water circulation. First, the water clarity is amazing! Moss doesn’t build up as easily because the water is in constant motion with no dead spots. And, best of all….. Cleaning is much easier. Most of the detrious is captured by the mechanical filtration of the tank rather than in the substrate meaning you don’t have to vacuum as much or as strenuously.

I'm dragging up another old thread. Sorry!

It seems that for a period from about 2005-2010 there was some interest in UGJ systems (and confusion about them being reverse UGF, which they are not). It seems they were often inspired by this entry on a website.

Few of the threads here got much attention (see above), and then it all seemed to die out. I'd not even heard of this until very recently. So, I am curious, did anyone put one in? Anyone then take one out? Did they work? Was it worth it? Do they worth through the substrate like "King of DIY" video suggests, or do they need the jets above the substrate? How do they handle diggers?

I ask because I am doing some planning for a mbuna tank of moderate size, and the more "automated" it is to reduce inputs the better. So, there will be an oversized sump with a MBBR for nutrient conversion, a refugia and a CAWR for nutrient and mineral export. If a UGJ could help ensure that the substrate stays cleaner, and the waste moves into active processing rather than settling into difficult to reach places, it would be very useful.

So, does anybody have hands on experience with these? Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back