ugh fish choosing #2 (better explanation)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

It is well known that water companies in the UK make water sound harder than it really is. Your table shows the same trend as UK water companies.

60 ppm is considered soft by fish keepers, not the upper limit of slightly hard. Even 120 ppm is considered soft, albeit at the upper end of soft, while your table says 120 ppm is on the border between moderately hard and hard.

We cannot use water company words for describing hardness as they are in disagreement with fish keeping.

Seriously Fish does give the hardness range for guppies as 143 to 536 ppm. But other very knowledgable members on this forum state that 200 ppm is the minimum guppies should be kept in which is where my information comes from.
I am in the us
image.jpg
also what is this plant got jt as assorted stem plants with a ludwiga and hornwort

It is well known that water companies in the UK make water sound harder than it really is. Your table shows the same trend as UK water companies.

60 ppm is considered soft by fish keepers, not the upper limit of slightly hard. Even 120 ppm is considered soft, albeit at the upper end of soft, while your table says 120 ppm is on the border between moderately hard and hard.

We cannot use water company words for describing hardness as they are in disagreement with fish keeping.

Seriously Fish does give the hardness range for guppies as 143 to 536 ppm. But other very knowledgable members on this forum state that 200 ppm is the minimum guppies should be kept in which is where my information comes from.
Just so uou know i averaged the average of ground and surface water, the ground water is well above 200 at the hughest

ok i really need to explain my tank: 75 gallon, a bit of flow from filter, plants growing, not a lot though
ph-high
kh-40ppm-120ppm
a few guppies and 2 swordtails
looking for fish that can live with my current setup bc a 75 gallon is not worth a few guppies
I really like yo yo loaches. they look nice, are not picky about food or water, don't bother other fish, & even tolerate bullies well. They clean everything; drill right into the bottom for junk, , go right in among plants , & all the way to the surface, they don't even cost very much! I bought 3 at Petsmart for $1.79 each, & now their body weight is about 10x when I got them!

I really like yo yo loaches. they look nice, are not picky about food or water, don't bother other fish, & even tolerate bullies well. They clean everything; drill right into the bottom for junk, , go right in among plants , & all the way to the surface, they don't even cost very much! I bought 3 at Petsmart for $1.79 each, & now their body weight is about 10x when I got them!

hmm. i might get those or a pack of cories. is my ph too high for them?

hmm. i might get those or a pack of cories. is my ph too high for them?
My ph tends to be around 7.4 - 7.6, and I have not had any problems. I also have cories in with the yoyo's in my tank, and they all get along fine. The cory's are a little more specialized to the bottom, yoyo's go everywhere, cleaning everything, and they are more active.

My ph tends to be around 7.4 - 7.6, and I have not had any problems. I also have cories in with the yoyo's in my tank, and they all get along fine. The cory's are a little more specialized to the bottom, yoyo's go everywhere, cleaning everything, and they are more active.
Thabks do they need wood?

Thabks do they need wood?
I doubt that they need wood, but I have an old piece of mopani wood in my tank, to add a little tannin to the water. I have never seen yoyo's paying much attention to the wood, maybe because I keep a large nerite snail which cleans that piece of wood constantly.

If you use mopani wood, be careful: a new piece might turn the water way too brown, and it will take a long time to get the tannin coming out down to an acceptable level; even boiling the wood didn't do the job for me. For starters, stay away from wood meant for reptiles....

I doubt that they need wood, but I have an old piece of mopani wood in my tank, to add a little tannin to the water. I have never seen yoyo's paying much attention to the wood, maybe because I keep a large nerite snail which cleans that piece of wood constantly.

If you use mopani wood, be careful: a new piece might turn the water way too brown, and it will take a long time to get the tannin coming out down to an acceptable level; even boiling the wood didn't do the job for me. For starters, stay away from wood meant for reptiles....
i have a oak log. but guppy dont like pee water(blackwater lol)
and peach wood, but peach wood has TOO MUCH TANNINNNNNN

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back