types of goldfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Very hand information thank you for putting this together.

ok, since i'm new, i hope no one is rude to me but i just have a question. i'm debating if i can get a pool comet and put it in a fish tank with a goldfish. they would be the same size as each other and i was wondering if it would be safe. my goldfish is 8 years old, in a 10 gal tank and is named Tiger. he has seemed to me to be a little lonely and if i get new goldfish that are smaller than him, he tortures them and the new ones end up dying. i'm scared to get one in case the pool comet tries to eat him or something, though they would be the same size like i've mentioned earlier. i hope someone can answer me and let me know. really thinking about getting another tankmate for him very soon.

ok, since i'm new, i hope no one is rude to me but i just have a question. i'm debating if i can get a pool comet and put it in a fish tank with a goldfish. they would be the same size as each other and i was wondering if it would be safe. my goldfish is 8 years old, in a 10 gal tank and is named Tiger. he has seemed to me to be a little lonely and if i get new goldfish that are smaller than him, he tortures them and the new ones end up dying. i'm scared to get one in case the pool comet tries to eat him or something, though they would be the same size like i've mentioned earlier. i hope someone can answer me and let me know. really thinking about getting another tankmate for him very soon.

Hi Holly, :hi: to the forum.

I'm afraid you can't put another goldfish in your 10 gallon, it's far too small. Really Tiger should have a much bigger tank too; at least 100l or he won't be able to grow properly.

If you got a new, larger tank (in the region of 120l/25gallons), you could get a friend for Tiger, but not in the tank you have now.

It's possible that Tiger sees the whole of the tank as his territory and that's why he's bothering any new fish you put in, but it's also possible that the water quality is not all it should be and it's that that's making the new fish poorly (while Tiger's got used to it). Fish will bully and pick on a fish that is already sick.

I'd really recommend you get; a larger tank (there are some great bargains to be found on Ebay, or you could try Gumtree/Freecycle/Craiglist) and a set of water test kits (liquid or tablet ones, not the paper strips), if you don't have them already. You need tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

What kind of filter do you have, how do you clean it and how much and how often do you change the water?

There are over 100 types of goldfish! All of the goldfish breeds belong to one of two types. The two types are the ORDINARY goldfish and FANCY goldfish. Ordinary goldfish have only one tail, while fancy goldfish have two tails.i choose FANCY.

I've been bored over the last few days, so I put together this little guide

TYPES OF GOLDFISH

There are several types of goldfish available to the fish keeper, all have been breed from the Gibel carp Carassius auratus gibelio
gibble.jpg

The Common
common.jpg

Description
Slender in body shape with a short sleek tail fin.
comments
The common is an extremely hardy fish and has the potential to reach 24 inches/ 61cm.
The average life span is 30 years; however the oldest know goldfish was Tish who lived to the ripe old age of 42 (Guinness book of records).
32-90 degrees F/ zero-32 degrees C

The Comet
comet.jpg

Description
Slender in body shape with a long single tail fin.
comments
Again a very hardy fish that has the potential to reach 22 inches/56cm.
The average life span is 20 years.

The Shubunkin
Bristol_shubunkin.jpg

Description
Slender in body like the comets and commons, but should show in colour the violet, red, orange and yellow and with spots of black (calico colours). Also these colours should run into the fins too.
comments
The are two types of Shubunkin available, The Bristol and the London. The one pictured is the Bristol.
Yet another hardy fish that has the potential to reach 12 inches/ 30.5cm.
The average lifespan is 25 years.

Fancy goldfish (Fancies)

Fantails

fantail.jpg

Description
Egg shape body with long doubled or short tail fins.
comments
They are somewhat hardy fish and have the potential to reach 14 inches/ 35.5cm
The average life span is 12 years.
Note; This was the starting point for all the fancy goldfish.

Moores
moores.jpg

Description
A velvety black coloured fish with telescope eyes and an egg shaped body.
comments
They are somewhat hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches/ 25.4cm
The average life span is 25 years.
32-82 degrees F/ zero-28 degrees C
True moores are not available in any other colours.

Pearlscales
pearlscales.jpg

Description
Egg shaped goldfish but normally their mid region is much larger than most of the other egg shaped goldfish. The scales have a pearl raised appearance.
comments
They are not a hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches/ 25.4cm
32-82 degrees F/ zero-28 degrees C
Available in many colours.

The Oranda
oranda.jpg

Description
Egg shaped body with head growth (wen).
comments
The wen growth should be well developed. Fin length should be long and flowing.
Available in many colours.
They are fairly hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches/ 25.4cm
74 -78 degrees F/ 23-26 degrees C

The Ryukin
ryukins.jpg

Description
Close looking to the fantail goldfish, but they have a hump back to them that starts just after the head of the goldfish.
comments
They are fairly hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches /25.4cm

The Telescope
Description

Egg shaped goldfish with telescope eyes.
comments
They are somewhat hardy fish and have the potential to reach 8 inches/ 20cm
70-78 degrees F/ 21-26 degrees C

There are many different kinds of telescoped goldfish; they should have long flowing fins. They also come in many colours and different sized eyes.
Not to be confused with the Bubble eye.

The Pom-pon
pompon.jpg

Description
Egg shaped fish either with or without fins. The Pom-pon you see is the nostrils in excessive development. Some fish have it very lightly and others have very big ones.
comments

The Demekin
demekin.jpg

Description
A cross between a Ryukin and a Telescope. They have a high arched back with telescoped eyes.
comments
The average life span is 20 years.
70-74 degrees F/ 21-23 degrees C

The Veiltail
veiltail.jpg

Description
Long flowing fins that droops off the body. The fins look like a veil of a bride head dress. Body is an egged shaped and the colour of the fish comes in many colours.
comments
The average life span is 16 years.
70-78 degrees F/ 21-26 degrees C

The Eggfish
eggfish.jpg

Description
Egg shaped goldfish, but this fish has long flowing fins. some people call them Phoenix Eggfish. There is no dorsal fin on this fish.
comments
They are not a hardy fish and have the potential to reach 10 inches/ 25.4cm
A very rare fish to find.

The Lionhead
Description

Egg shaped goldfish, but its back is pretty much in a straight line with head growth on it. No dorsal fin on this fish.
comments
The average life span is 15 years.

The Ranchu
ranchu.jpg

Description
Egg shaped goldfish, but its back is curved then you will see a tail tuck of 90 degrees with head or with out growth on it. No dorsal fin on this fish.
comments
They are a hardy fish and have the potential to reach 8inches/ 20cm
The average life span is 15 years.

The Celestial
celestial.jpg

Description
Egg shaped goldfish, but its eyes are pointing up words to the sky. No dorsal fin on this fish
comments
The average life span is 7 years.
78-80 degrees F/ 26-27 degrees C
The eyes start out normal and move as the fish matures. Rather delicate and sensitive to the cold.

The Bubble eye
bubbleeyes.jpg

Description
Egg shaped fish like the celestial with large, fluid-filled sacks under the eyes. These fish require special tanks with no sharp objects. No dorsal fin on this fish
comments
They are somewhat hardy fish and have the potential to reach 6inches/ 15.2cm
The average life span is 10 years.
These bubbles are delicate and are easily damaged. They will repair themselves in time. Care should be given to tank decorations and other fish to prevent damage. Are best kept with other Bubble eye or Celestial

The Wakin
wakin.jpg

Description
Slender in body shape with a divided tail fin
comments
They are somewhat hardy fish and have the potential to reach 12 inches/ 30.5cm
The average life span is unknown.

Have I missed one? do tell.

All pictures, except Gibel carp, are used with the kind permission of the
Bristol Aquarists' Society
Very good post. I like all the pictures. I did not know they can live so long.

Very nice! I own a shubunkin, a common orange, and a sarasa comet. Thanks for making!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back