Type of Severum

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

D4z07

Reaction score
Hi all, new to keeping cichlids as just bought a tank of someone and it came with about 12 little cichlids with a green severum and a catfish. Just a coupe questions so does anyone know how to tell a male green severum from female? Also, these little cichlids are all from the same spawn but two of them are constantly fighting and I think they’re a bit young to be mating so are they fighting? Picture of the severum is attached

Attachments

• D79A6F00-A513-4E9F-9A45-AE5076EC2507.jpeg
    D79A6F00-A513-4E9F-9A45-AE5076EC2507.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 110
Same thing is happening with my severums, I was told that Males are most likely to chase and nip at other males, not females. My guess is the one in the picture is a weaker male. Severums are very hard to tell male from female, best guess would be to look for breeding behaviors, like if pairs were to form.
For more check out my thread:

I find Sevs quite easy to sex - from this pic I would say male but their fins are very badly nipped and the fish looks quite stressed. Do you have any closer photos of the face? Males usually have lots of dots or squiggles on their nose and cheeks where as females have less - I did have one that looked fully male but was female because she laid eggs though :) My Lilly who lived to 12 years old.

What are the other fish that you have them in with? If you are not sure can you post some pictures?

Wills

Most reactions

Back