Type of betta?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I know what they are all i know is that ph is 7.2 other i measured twice and they were good. Heavy planted, good filtration , weekly 40 procent water change and im not worried. As long as shrimps are breading im not concered as our tap water is good. Cant see in pic there is 15 more bacopas behind rock just started growing planted them week ago and i added 4 stems of ludvigia in midlle so stocked with plants and duckweed also.

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_133830.jpg
    IMG_20220515_133830.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 49
I know what they are all i know is that ph is 7.2 other i measured twice and they were good.
Hardness (GH) is not good or bad, but dictates the fish that should be kept. As you have both soft and hard water fish in one tank, the water will not be suitable for all of them.

All fish is from domestic breeding for years now they are used to water parameters since they been breed in them for generations. There is no way i can mimic to extend they native habitat. If every keeper here does the same and its good why would i try anything different. Whom ever i talked here that does the same claim that bettas lives 5 years on average and platy up to 3 years with no problem and they do same as me. This shop owner buys them from local breeder.

Check out this article, evolution cannot be overridden by human's keeping fish tanks.
With an extract:
"Fish that have evolved in soft acidic water and those that have evolved in hard alkaline environments have totally different mechanisms for maintaining healthy levels of minerals, such as sodium and calcium. When a hard water fish is placed into soft water, it is unable to absorb sufficient minerals, and these cannot often be ingested through diet alone. This is why some species of Molly in soft water will develop shimmies, twitching and muscle spasms, often shortly before death.

Conversely, placing a soft water fish into hard water may result in them taking up too much of one mineral at the expense of others. This can lead to deficiencies and organ problems. The effects of this will show gradually over time."

All fish is from domestic breeding for years now they are used to water parameters since they been breed in them for generations. There is no way i can mimic to extend they native habitat. If every keeper here does the same and its good why would i try anything different. Whom ever i talked here that does the same claim that bettas lives 5 years on average and platy up to 3 years with no problem and they do same as me. This shop owner buys them from local breeder.
the only thing you don't understand is the concept that these fish are still fish and will always be fish from different parts of the world, and let's face it, not everywhere is the same, think of it like putting your betta fish in saltwater. they didn't evolve to be there.

Ah you gonna make me go get water kit now even doe i said i wont bother i just spent 30min lokeing if i have somwhere writen in post or if i have taken pic of test and cant find it anywhere.
All i remeber ph was 7.2 and was droping cause of mangrowe wood leaching tannins so was told to add spring botlled water by one keeper from here that water is labeled as 8,2ph and had minerals and stuff so they add it when ph drops in small ratio to raise ph. I did that and then tested after 24h and ph was 7.2 again and if i remeber correctly but i might be wrong general hardnes maybe 180, i can remeber 180 for something just cant think of what it was.
I know all stuff u saying is correct i have read about it before i started first tank but all i can see is that people all over wolrd keep this fish in same tanks where ever u look they say betta tankmates are, guppy ( no fancy ones cause of tail), platy and tetras exactly what i have. And here evry1 does the same so i opted for them. I dont know we will se in long run what happens they seem happy beta allready changing color going more vibrant, platty males chaseing females and mating, shrimps are bredding i seen 2 female bearing right now, tetras shoaling. They take food ok i have tropical flakes, dry shrimp, dafnia and spirulina waffers so i mix it up for them. All plants look good and growing.
Im gonna fallow it up if it works for lots of fish keepers here should work for me i will not invent hot water and change it up as long fish has no health issues its ok by me.
And i think fish are capable to adopt to conditions way more then they give them credit to be honest. When i see wild fish thet we keep habitat and what conditions people keep them and they adopt its just amazing. Im gonna say that my water parameters might be just in the midlle to satisfy all of them. I remeber lookeing up after i tested those 2 times ( 5 days apart) and it was just there to meet needs for all these fish.
Tnx for help.

Ages ago (early 2000's) I put a veil tail Betta male in a 55gallon community. It was my cousin's fish that was not doing great in his fish bowl (not even going to get into the issues with everything on that end). So, naturally my relatives were like, " K has a big tank, she could take him". I did. He was a good fish, super chill and it was amazing how large that betta grew. He was a thick boy and about 3 inches in body alone. He lived with me for about 4 years before he started to decline from old age.

what conditions people keep them and they adopt its just amazing
assuming you meant "Adapt" not "Adopt"

they do NOT adapt they TOLERATE. those mi amigo are 2 very different words.
people all over wolrd keep this fish in same tanks where ever u look they say betta tankmates are, guppy ( no fancy ones cause of tail), platy and tetras exactly what i have.
do people all over the world keep all these fish in one 15-gallon tank?
maybe, but how long do you think those fish can be happy?
I would like to point out that your tank will become very overpopulated with all the fry, and not to mention your bioload will skyrocket. :/

Tank size is 15g but with deep dirted substrate and rocks wood only holds 11g of water.
Parameters i forgot dont have kit right now i know it was al within range when measured month aggo i dont keep up with it at all just do 40% water change weekly and dose declhorinator, fertilizer and bit of beneficial bacteria when i clean filter.

Having seen the photo (and it's a nice looking tank! Especially for someone new to the hobby) you have to bear in mind that it's no longer a 15g. The substrate is so thick, you really only have maybe 10 gallons of water in there. So you're overstocked for a 15g, and very overstocked for a 10g.
Started in january with hobby made my self 7 galon tank, in april i got 15 by july i should get biger one again. And i have 5 g in cycle now just in case things go wrong with betta.Plan is to have tank in every room, daugther has 7g now , i have 15 and living room is planed for ,3 feet long whatever galons it comes to need to figure that one.

Cant edit on phone but i should have place for them when they het bigger for sure.
It's great that you plan to upgrade! But try not to get into the habit of buying fish before you have the tank size they need. Swordtails grow fast, life happens and has a tendency to delay things like buying, setting up and upgrading new tanks, and by the time that happens, the fish is stunted and won't grow the same as it would have if given the space it needed from the start. You can't un-stunt a fish.

Impulse buying fish happens, I'm sure we've all been guilty of it at least once. I'm just advising to try to resist that temptation, and to make sure you have the set up the fish needs before buying it. Now that you know these fish need a much larger tank than the ten gallons you have them in now, now is the time to upgrade them or return the fish.

Bear in mind that five female guppies, three female platies and female swordtails can produce a prodigious amount of fry in a very short time. Do you have a plan for what to do with all the young?

Oh wow, I just saw the videos - you have mollies in there too!! Dude, what are you doing??
And i think fish are capable to adopt to conditions way more then they give them credit to be honest. When i see wild fish thet we keep habitat and what conditions people keep them and they adopt its just amazing. Im gonna say that my water parameters might be just in the midlle to satisfy all of them. I remeber lookeing up after i tested those 2 times ( 5 days apart) and it was just there to meet needs for all these fish.
Tnx for help.

Did you honestly read the article linked? It's not a case of "fish adapt to different water conditions", it's biology here. Yes, your fish might be active and breeding and surviving in your tank, and in thousands of others across the globe. They don't have any choice about wat water we put them in, and they will do their utmost to survive, as any creature does even under the worst of circumstances.
But when the fish dies of kidney failure because the hard water has caused a mineral built up in the kidneys, that isn't something the fish can "adapt" to. And you won't have any idea why the fish died. You'll assume it was old age or some other random reason, shrug and get another one. Just because the damage is done internally and isn't visible to you, doesn't mean it isn't happening and affecting the health and lifespan of the fish.

You seem very determined to believe that you're right and you know everything, when you've only been in the hobby for a few months. It might be a good idea to step back from being defensive and consider if you're rushing, and choosing to believe what you want, rather than relying on facts or considering things told by people with much more experience. No one is trying to attack you. Just give you advice to help your fish thrive, and for you to have a successful tank in the long term.

Don't think there are Molly's at least i didn't by any unless they throw them in by mistake. What color might be the one you think is molly? Not being defensive at all just doing what i can with what i have. I know its overstocked that's why i do weekly water changes try to have many plants to break line of sight and provide lots of cover exc. How often do you check water parameters every week, twice a week ?

Well just went to store show them pics of all fish i bought and they said they are mollys apperently dalmatian molly and yellow molly i have one male and one female an they refused to take them back as they are afraid since they been with me for few days now that they may introduce some diesease in tank to oher fish. All they said is sorry must have jumped from other tank to this one and that happenes a lot and girl that work didnt know she sold me them as platys and offcourse since im new to all this stuff i had no idea.
So now im lookeing for some local fish keeper to give them away hopefully someone wants them. Guy at store said that they are sailfin type and they are gonna grow to 5 or 6 inches there is no way i can keep them in here with betta so they have to go. So frustrating s... store and s... workers that give no acctual facts when buying fish just want to sell them and then wont even take them back even doe i just wanted to remove them for no compensation or exchange. Same thing happened when i was stocking my 7g tank from that store they didnt tell me right size rummy nose tetras grow to and sold me cardinal tersas insead of smaller neon tetras so i had to remove some as im gonna have to do now its joke.

Oh wow, I just saw the videos - you have mollies in there too!! Dude, what are you doing??
Well tnx for sayig this mate you vere right its confirmed, went to the store again to speak to owner this time instead of worker and he confirmed it was silver marble molly male and yelow moly female. He agreed to take them back so i excanged them for 2 female platys so now i have good ratio 2 males and 4 females platy.
Tnx again.
And i find local keeper that is wiling to adopt 5 female gupys and he wil in exchange trade me 2 nerite snail as he has to many he said.
So im left in tank with betta, 6 platty,7 small tetras either ember or black fin i was told, 2 snails and some shrimp as male betta ate most of them only large females are elft that i can see.

Well after all the talks here is update all is well didnt lose any fish so far plants and fish growing nicely. Shrimp colony is huge now to the point i started selling them as there is over 100 at any given time. Betta gets along with evryone still playing sherif if there is bullying among platys he comes in between and they stop.

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_145341.jpg
    IMG_20220813_145341.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 34

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back