Tyler's 90Gallon Reef Project

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Tis true.. people are getting smarter about placing animals in habitats that are too small.... Jeez people use to think chromis should be kept singly.... CRAZY! Tangs need room to play and freely swim long distances. =)

-Tyler

Very sorry, Thats why i said I could be wrong. Hehe I will just stop offering my two cents completely. For some reason I thought yellow tangs in specific could manage in smaller tanks. I've never kept any tanks smaller than 175g before (till recently) so I'm not use to minimum tank requirements.

My apologies. Thanks for teaching me something new.

Kyle,

I really do appreciate your input. I kind of like the Engineer goby BTW! Looks pretty freakin awesome!

In regards to the tangs, there has been a lot learned in recent years and for overall lifespan/happiness etc of these animals has been able to be viewed much better and recommendations for how they are kept has changed. I am glad you are back here, and really I am sure no one means to snap, we just want animals to be referred to as precious and as lifeforms, not throw away fish or "cheap". Every fish is a life and we as hobbyists should respect that and do our utmost best to keep their lives just as important as a more expensive fish.

-Tyler

Kyle,

I really do appreciate your input. I kind of like the Engineer goby BTW! Looks pretty freakin awesome!

In regards to the tangs, there has been a lot learned in recent years and for overall lifespan/happiness etc of these animals has been able to be viewed much better and recommendations for how they are kept has changed. I am glad you are back here, and really I am sure no one means to snap, we just want animals to be referred to as precious and as lifeforms, not throw away fish or "cheap". Every fish is a life and we as hobbyists should respect that and do our utmost best to keep their lives just as important as a more expensive fish.

-Tyler

Yeah I understand that completely and I care for my fish very much. I tend to become attached to even the things you dont want. I had a guerilla (not sure on spelling) crab that was eating new additions in my old 175g and I respected him so much that when I finally caught him via DIY trap I kept him alive by placing him in the sump and feeding him on a daily basis even after all the pains of loosing new additions.

But for some reason I thought I had read that tangs kept in a tank that isnt very large but still 50+ gallons would be happy if they are still allowed to swim and I thought that strong enough powerheads that lock them in place while swimming would allow the affect of them swimming long distances. But it seems im incorrect and now I know. Knoweldge is power. I will just be sure that I have accuarte information before I post any sort of reccomendations from now on instead of going off memory from 5+ years ago. My apologizes and I'm very excited to see your tank when it starts being stocked. Btw how far down the cycle are you in your 3 month cycle plan?

Kyle,

-Tyler

Yeah I understand that completely and I care for my fish very much. I tend to become attached to even the things you dont want. I had a guerilla (not sure on spelling) crab that was eating new additions in my old 175g and I respected him so much that when I finally caught him via DIY trap I kept him alive by placing him in the sump and feeding him on a daily basis even after all the pains of loosing new additions.

But for some reason I thought I had read that tangs kept in a tank that isnt very large but still 50+ gallons would be happy if they are still allowed to swim and I thought that strong enough powerheads that lock them in place while swimming would allow the affect of them swimming long distances. But it seems im incorrect and now I know. Knoweldge is power. I will just be sure that I have accuarte information before I post any sort of reccomendations from now on instead of going off memory from 5+ years ago. My apologizes and I'm very excited to see your tank when it starts being stocked. Btw how far down the cycle are you in your 3 month cycle plan?

About a week. lol. I will add some astreas to help get the diatoms under control soon though.

-Tyler

oh jeeze, still got a long while to go. Personally im rushing my tank a bit because I gotta move it in the next 5 months. but once I move it I plan to set it up for longhaul. your tank is gonna be awesome on maintenece once its well established.

I did a waterchange every 6 months after my 175g was established for 3 years. It simply took care of itself other than water top offs, feeding, and cleaning of the skimmer.

Best of luck to your tank! Back to cramming knowledge for me.

ainsy said:
56jman said:
Tang police.....

Giving justice to tangs :good:

Hardly! This is very muted compared to the reaction that such a suggestion would elicit elsewhere...

True. In the freshwater section a mob would be gathering. LOL.

I wouldn't I haven't had an aglae problem in my 10g FW for 9 months until now. :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back