Tyler's 90Gallon Reef Project

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It doesn't look like your gonna get much surface turbuelence. My two cents is that maybe you should invest in a 3rd powerheard strictly for the purpose of breaking the surface water so that you dont build up the yucky stuff. In my tank I point both powerheads at the surface to maximize the surface turbelence. Looks great tho, excited to see it down the road.

You must not have read the first of my journal. There will be two additional 1400 gph powerheads going into the tank =) Also I have a sump with overflow which provides a ample supply of oxygen exchange if that is what you are worried about..

Don't you worry there, Its only the first week of having the tank!

-Tyler

You must not have read the first of my journal. There will be two additional 1400 gph powerheads going into the tank =) Also I have a sump with overflow which provides a ample supply of oxygen exchange if that is what you are worried about..

-Tyler

your correct I didn't read the first part and no i know the sump will alow ample oxygen exchange, I'm talking about breaking up the film on the surface that will build up if its not broken through surface turbuelence.

-Tyler

your correct I didn't read the first part and no i know the sump will alow ample oxygen exchange, I'm talking about breaking up the film on the surface that will build up if its not broken through surface turbuelence.

That film falls over into the overflow in the middle of the tank and down into the sump. It can not build up...

20120729_220139.jpg

-Tyler

So no CUC, or just algae eaters? You're going for the DSB then?

L

Yes on the DSB... its about 3" so really not that deep. Most go 6+, mine is quite manageable. I will be going with ceriths and astreas to start. They do not target the infauna =) At least one more week for CUC though. I don't want to rush a single thing. The ecosystem is very fragile right now, and the microorganisms that eventually grow to pods etc are very small and don't have a chance if invaded!

-Tyler

Maybe if I get time at work today I can look through live aquaria's site and find some things we really want! I am almost certain we are going with five chromis either blue reef or green. The green shine so brilliantly its sexy!

Also Jeremy is super excited for a pair of cardinal fish. They are beautiful fish, although not super fast swimmers they would bring a shimmer to the tank.

My dream is to have two pink skunk clowns / OR a type of Clarki clowns with a green haddons carpet in the bottom right of the tank. I love the carpets and really want something neat for my clowns to host (long ways out on coral, I know, but believe me I am plenty patient).

We want to have something to move about the tank a bit, so a wrasse of some kind would be cool. There are some neat colors of wrasse and since we have a six line in the 29 we want something bigger and with different colors.

Not opposed to an anthias or two, they are beautiful and big. =)

Id like to read more about it, but possibly I could have a black cap jawfish, but says they could be a threat to small shrimp. BLAH I don't want dead shrimp, but I have the substrate for this guy. The other route would be a goby/pistol pair, I never get bored watching these guys. Who knows.

Also looking at mandarins if I am able to keep a good pod population. I love the red type the most. (2) Maybe haha

With lighting there will be several additions to the tank including a maxima clam to take center stage in the sand bed. Some stylophora, maybe a hammer coral or frogspawn may be fun, but I'd love to have some acros, and acans. Lissette has got me hooked on scholemia and acans, they are gorgeous.

I'd like to set a couple goals with this tank:

1: Keep it clean and alive. Don't let the salinity fluxuate more than + or - .002
2: Two week quarantine all incoming livestock except CUC to keep ich from devastating my tank.
3: Dip all corals to help keep pest anems at bay.
4: Work VERY VERY slowly to allow time for this tank to mature on its own.

Will add more to this list as we go. What do you think of the fish list?

A small colony of pearly jawfish. They don't eat shrimps. I have kept them with shrimps before. You could possibly have between 2 & 4. Must be added all at the same time. I saw a 150g reef with a colony of six. Very cool. A little creepy in some ways, cause they kinda look like aliens, but very cool.

L

A pair of them might be fun! I just found this though.. They might get scared of big fish and not come out!?!? lol

http://www.nano-reef.com/fish/?fish=9

I think they are pretty though.

-Tyler

Yeah, I only kept them with chalk bass and neon gobies and my restocking doesn't involve anything particularly large. I like little fishes. If they are first in the tank, they are more comfortable. They need time to establish their burrow network.

L

Jawfish are so pretty :hey: , cool, :cool: ,amazing :hyper: , and adorable :wub: . No reason not to get one :shifty:

-Tyler

That film falls over into the overflow in the middle of the tank and down into the sump. It can not build up...

20120729_220139.jpg

-Tyler

I see, my apologies. Ignorance is bliss. Good luck on the tank, and if your looking for larger fish that are active tangs make great additions to tanks that can hold them. They are quite active and imo very beautiful fish. If you get 2 yellow tangs they should school together, I would get them from the lfs and only if there in the same tank already to skip the whole beat each other up phase.

Cardinals and anthias's make great additions as well. Can't really go wrong no matter what with those choices. Unless you have a full grown eel lurking about =0

If your looking for something that is eel like but very passive and doesn't eat other fish google an engineer goby. I had 4 in my 175g tank after my eel jumped out and died and they were very eel like and extremely cool. They created a massive underground tunnel layout and were just fascinating in general. Do your homework on them tho because if the rock isn't layed down correctly they can cause the rockwork to collapse. Def check them out tho!

I do not really want any eels. I also think my tank is not really big enough for tangs although I do want them. I don't have a ton of money for this tank as the fall semester is about to start so it will be a slowly stocked tank, as water quality will be the cost priority over what to put in it for now. The rockwork was all placed VERY stable before sand so I do not forsee any rocks falling down unless theres a bulldozer in there.

-Tyler

I do not really want any eels. I also think my tank is not really big enough for tangs although I do want them. I don't have a ton of money for this tank as the fall semester is about to start so it will be a slowly stocked tank, as water quality will be the cost priority over what to put in it for now. The rockwork was all placed VERY stable before sand so I do not forsee any rocks falling down unless theres a bulldozer in there.

-Tyler

http://www.saltwatermasters.com/fish/Engineer-Gobies

Engineer gobies are not eels, they are of the goby family. There bodies are somewhat similar to eels and the way they move is also similar. I'd still suggest reading up on them. And 90g tank should be fine for yellow tangs. yellow tangs are the smaller of the tang family. I could be mistaken but If I remember correctly the minimum tank size for yellow tangs is 50-75 gallons.

If you like burrowers the engineer goby is the ultimate burrower hands down. I've never seen networks of tunnels like the ones these guys build. And the collapse I was talking about is if your very bottom layer of rock isnt touching the glass engineer gobies can collapse them by digging under the rocks. I wouldn't think any other fish could cause a rock collapse tho.

Attachments

• imagesCA9BAOVR.jpg
    imagesCA9BAOVR.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 222
Kyle sicard please do not advise people to add tangs to a tank that is not large enough. They are a free swimming fish & even the smallest require a lot of horizontal swimming room in order to be happy. Whilst people do keep them in smaller tank they do not prosper & can't be recommended in anything less than 6ft.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back