Two stage seive

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello,

It is the second time I've seen someone showing this two stage seive on a YouTube short, catching brine shrimp... and not sharing the link for it. 😭 I searched google and it doesn't show anywhere.

I'm wondering if it is in some USA only store or aquatics chain? Please tell me if you've seen this online to purchase? It seems the best way I've seen so far.

Just go to a store that sells cooking equipment and buy 2 sieves that have different grade mesh.

I have no idea why he's using sieves to catch brineshrimp, a fine mesh net will catch adults and an eye dropper/ turkey baster can suck up the babies.

If you don't want egg shells, use decapuslated brineshrimp eggs. You get baby brineshrimp but no shells.

Just go to a store that sells cooking equipment and buy 2 sieves that have different grade mesh.

I have no idea why he's using sieves to catch brineshrimp, a fine mesh net will catch adults and an eye dropper/ turkey baster can suck up the babies.

If you don't want egg shells, use decapuslated brineshrimp eggs. You get baby brineshrimp but no shells.
Never heard of decapsulated ones, do you mean they can still hatch? I want live brine shrimp.

Never heard of decapsulated ones, do you mean they can still hatch? I want live brine shrimp.
decapsulated brineshrimp eggs have had the shell removed and the eggs are kept in a solution. When put into saltwater they hatch but you don't have to deal with the egg shell.

About half way down the page on the following link is a section on brineshrimp and decapsulating brineshrimp eggs.

decapsulated brineshrimp eggs have had the shell removed and the eggs are kept in a solution. When put into saltwater they hatch but you don't have to deal with the egg shell.

About half way down the page on the following link is a section on brineshrimp and decapsulating brineshrimp eggs.
Thanks Colin.

I actually found the two stage seive net online. It says 1 is 80 micron and the other 200 micron..

Its stupidly expensive so I'm taking the advice of buying separately from a food supplier, however to ensure I have the best micron mesh size, I'm trying to find info on the size of nauplii vs the eggs, hatched and unhatched.

I so far saw an article saying the babies are 400microns, and the eggs I cannot find info on... Do you happen to know the size of the eggs? @Colin_T

I have the mesh for filtering out the naplii but every time I order the larger mesh one I keep getting smaller meshes. I have given up. It is hard to get good decapsulated brine shrimp eggs in Canada, I have tried a few times. You can prevent getting the shells in your brine shrimp hatches by illuminating the middle of the water column in the hatchery and only pulling the nauplii from that location with a turkey baster.

I have the mesh for filtering out the naplii but every time I order the larger mesh one I keep getting smaller meshes. I have given up. It is hard to get good decapsulated brine shrimp eggs in Canada, I have tried a few times. You can prevent getting the shells in your brine shrimp hatches by illuminating the middle of the water column in the hatchery and only pulling the nauplii from that location with a turkey baster.
I bought a 75 mesh and a 200 mesh... I will try and see if they work. Bought them muuuuuch lower price in the "kitchen and cooking utensils" category of amazon than in the aquarium category... Smh. People charging 5x the price knowing it's a rare or niche hobby/tool.

I usually use the light but for some reason a lot of the nauplii stay near the bottom still and don't swim up.. My phone light disperses well enough and it is hard to pin point the light to only the middle and I have to stand physically waiting for ages for them to swim as i am unsure how else to hold the light up. It is just faster to seive if possible.

Most reactions

trending

Back