Two rusties in an all male tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GuppyNamedOscar

Reaction score
Stocking my first cichlid tank. I feel like I've done a ton of research, but there's so much conflicting (or just plain bad) info. Hoping someone can answer from personal experience! I mail ordered my fish from a reputable breeder, and either as a gift or an error, they sent me two rusties instead of one. They look pretty different-- not sure if it's age, sex, or just individual difference. Assuming they're both male, can they coexist in an all male tank (with peacocks and labidochromis?)
20221006_130639~2.jpg

The only mbuna combination I would keep would be what you have - rustys and yellow labs, the 2 least aggressive mbuna I have kept. You have a pair there, I believe. It's been 30 years since I kept them, so a more recent keeper might disagree, but no anal fin egg spots and the right colour...

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, Gary. I'm definitely aiming for "least aggressive." I didn't notice the lack of egg spots-- good catch.
Do you have any experience with white labs? Mine is white, not yellow, and I read recently they are more aggressive than the yellows. Mine is certainly not timid but doesn't bother anyone yet.

I only know the yellow and blue morphs of caeruleus. I haven't kept the white one, but blue and yellow had no behaviour differences I could ever see. My mbuna days are done forever, but I'll keep watching here in the hopes someone has direct experience. I'm curious about that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back