Twigs, branches.

Ed Pursell

Reaction score
Really crazy question, been in this hobby since late 70ā€™s.. Was into the salt water and fresh tanks, for a few years and got back into it for a year or so. Love it, but question, been seeing so many nice tanks here with smaller branches, twigs in tanks now. I was used to the old driftwood pieces, but really like these smaller twig pieces of wood just for maybe a background piece. What is everyone using? I live in an are where branches and trees are around, whatā€™s the proceeds of curing these and what type of tree is safe? What would I need to do? Where is everyone getting these from? Do you need to dry cuttings for a long time? Sorry for the dumb question, but might want to stick a piece in the back of my tank, something just to fill an open spot.

I LOVE using Oak branches in my scapes.
In general, most hardwoods are ok to use in your tank.
Just make sure that they are fully dry.
Winter is a great time to get branches because the branches are easier to manage.
If the twigs are small, you can stick them in your oven for about 4 hours on low heat. They will dry out quickly.

Thanks, we do have Oaks around, maybe Iā€™ll search in the near future for a couple pieces and Iā€™ll leave them dry for a few weeks. Thanks againā€¦

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back