TV watching....what service(s) do you use for your TV watching

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

what service(s) do you use for TV watching....click all that apply.

• Cable TV

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Youtube TV

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • PS Vue

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Directv satellite

• Directv Now streaming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fubo TV

• Hulu

• Netflix

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Sling TV

• Dish Network

• Tv via an antenna

• Amazon Prime

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Other...post details

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • We don’t watch tv in our household

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use a lot of tv. I use youtube tv, hulu,netflix,amazon prime video and dish.Actually I only watch youtube,prime and Netflix but dish is there for when my parents come over. [very often]

Interesting poll. If you haven’t yet answered the poll, please do so now. Click all answers that you use for tv viewing.

I've voted and i'm proud. Support TFF by doing these small things along the way.

The wife and I dropped cable TV last year. Al it is is 50 channels of nothing on as far as I am concerned. The Missus misses her cooking shows but I have Star Trek and all the westerns I need from over the air free antenna TV. The thing I really like is that I don't have any kind of VCR or DVR recording capability. It's like TV in the good old olden days. If there's something on I want to watch I have to be ready. If I had an old style tube TV like Fishmanic I would be in my seventh heaven.

I'll tell you one thing. Watching old black and white westerns on my cathode ray tube 19 inch kitchen tv from 1988 looks much better than on my 50 inch lcd tv. On the large tv the picture appears more blurry and just not as sharp as on the vintage tv as broadcast is only in SD 480p. When I can find it, I also enjoy watching Addams Family on the CRT tv...just like in the old days when I was just a yute.

Back in the fold: If you really want a CRT tv, you can find many of them free on Craigslist. People would rather give them away than have to pay a to dump them. A few years ago, I had to pay a junk hauler to dump my perfectly working 35 inch Mitsubishi console CRT TV to dump it. That TV was top of the line back in 1988 and sold for about $3000 ($6000 inflation adjusted). I replaced it with a 50 inch LCD in my basement Rec room...that tv only cost $300 and is a 4K HDR roku tv.

Last edited:
OK, the search begins. You are right Fishmanic. I noticed that bluriness you mentioned while watching Wagon Train. The special effects they had back in the day blend better on the old sets. I absolutely love black and white programs. To me black and white is an art form and the old sets capture it as it was intended. But, I don't get any over the air analog channels. All digital. Will I need some type of converter?

yes...you would need a digital to analog converter...you can find a used one on ebay or a new one on Amazon. You hook the converter to the antenna input and you hook your antenna to the converter.

The 19 inch Toshiba crt tv I use sold new for over $400...inflation adjusted that is equivalent to $800 today:drool:. You can buy a 50 inch 4k led tv today for around $300:). Electronics are one thing that seems to get cheaper as time passes...that is...until the Chinese trade tariffs kick in. :dunno:\

Last edited:
Isn't that something about the prices these days? I bought a JVC VCR when they first came out back in the 70's. 750 bucks. And my top of the line Curtis Mathes TV was 1200 bucks in 1978. Now you can buy a DVD player for 20 dollars and a pretty nice TV for 100 dollars. The only thing I really miss is my rabbit ears antenna with the tin foil on it that I had to keep turning to keep the reception optimal.

I use rabbit ears on all my tvs for over the air reception. On my basement tv, I run long coax (with amplifier booster) through the ceiling and set up the rabbit ears in the upstairs front window. I get much better reception that way. I watch a lot of sports via Youtube TV . I love the DVR feature of Youtube TV. It has unlimited capacity and saves all recordings for 9 months.

Last edited:
We cut the cord earlier this year. We already had Netflix, Hulu (not live TV, just on demand streaming) and Amazon Prime (mostly for the shipping benefits but there are some great shows we've watched as well). When we got rid of DirecTV, we added live TV through PSVue. We also have AT&T Watch free through our cell phone plans and there are a few channels we don't get on PSVue that we watch there. Beware: AT&T Watch has a lot of bugs and may more ads than other services.

We have saved A LOT of money (over $100 a month) and haven't had to give up a single show (to be fair, there aren't a lot of live shows we watch). We stream through Firesticks connected to our Alexa and it's so awesome being able to use our various Echo devices as voice remote (the pinnacle of laziness - lol). I also like being able to stream to my phone if I'm out of town.

Haven't missed DirecTV for a second.

In addition to Youtube TV and TV via antenna, I occasionally access free apps via roku that I watch for free movies and free tv shows...Crackle....Pluto....Tubi. I recommend them for you cord cutters who like "free". There also is free Filmrise Westerns for those who like old time western shows and movies as well as several other Filmrise free apps for drama, thriller, comedy, and more. To access them, all you need is a roku device attached to your tv. I'm not sure if you can access these apps with a Firestick. Vudu also had lots of free hd movies.

Last edited:
>>> a company called "DTV".

If you see a letter "D" in a company name here, you can be pretty sure it stands for "Danmark" or "Danske". Like our public service channels, "DR", stands for "Danmarks Radio". A lot of things are like that in Denmark. (Denmark in Danish is spelt with an "a").

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back