Turtles!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Amber192419

Reaction score
Would some good knowledge and advice on aquatic turtles?

i do at the moment have a 3ft tank with fish in, but im considering moving on from fish and keeping turtles. But i can imagine it being much harder work?

but unsure what sort of work will be needed? i know they dont need as much as water in as fish do and need a rock or something to sit on out of the water

just unsure on temperature and lighting etc? and what turtles can be together and what different ones you can get?

advice would be great thankyou x

Hi, first to consider is the size of the tank as many turtles/terrapins grow rather large.
For that reason I recommend musk or mud turtles, with still small- around the 6inch margin- and they do get along with others :)

Requirments for all turtles/terrapins is that they must have access to UV light important to maintain digestion and strong, sturdy bones.
Also a heat bulb- or an ordinary stand lamp will do to produce heat as the they like to bask out of the water.

If u need any other help give me a shout :)

Iv got a 3ft tank so how many of the turtles do you think i could get? i was just thinking of two really, can you get musk or mud turtles from regular aquariums?

thanks for advice x

I would suggest start of with one and see how it goes, then add another one down the line.
They require heavy duty filtration preferably an external filter.
Male musk turtles can become territorial but it should be ok in a 3ft.
It is required to have a basking dock but don't be alarmed if it doesn't use it, most musks don't bother basking.
Also remember to only have a little amount of water and slowly raise it as it grows, baby musk turtles are not very good swimmers when their young.

Overall their a very interesting turtle and can be live for quite some years so be prepared to look after it for at least 15 years minimum, if taken good care of.

Most reactions

Back