Turtles

dead_letters

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just seen some freshwater turtles in my local there about the same size as a 50p and was just wondering what i need to look after them and everything like can they be kept with other fish etc how the water should be what to feed them on etc etc etc.

http://www.turtleforum.com/ everything you ever wanted to know about turtles. They are not really suitable to put with fish as they will eat them. They need a tank with low water level and an area where they can leave the water. They also need a basking lamp. They can get pretty huge depending what type.

Hope this helps

Emma

We used to have terrapins in one of my local fishing lakes (will I get slammed). Real pain as they grew to the size of dustbin lids and were full of disease.

Could you keep turtles with JD's, or Oscars?

Ethos said:
Could you keep turtles with JD's, or Oscars?
[snapback]884735[/snapback]​

Not really, they have a very powerful mouth that could take chunks out of fish many times their size. We used to see some horrendous injuries to carp that had been carried out by terrapins. We are talking carp upto 15lb (6kg).

i answered a question on what you need for turtles and tankmates in the anphibian,reptile fopic in this forum. should still be on the front page. good luck! :D

Sorry,
But RES(Red Ear Sliders)... which I'm 99% sure Dead Letters is talking about, need as much water as possible. They are great swimmers, and yes, they need a basking spot (place to dry off under lighting). I have one, and I've been keeping it for half a year now. They are quite active, and fun to watch when you give them food.

Isaac

Then they need a layer of mud, or sand to burrow in. They can get quite large actually, but you could check turtleforums.com for more info on that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back