Turtles/terrapins

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Def

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hell is currently reviewing my application for res
Anyone know much about them? I'm after a beginners guide, I know nothing about them but want to get one. It'll have to be a small one. I found that Austins Turtle page site, but it's broken at the moment.

So, all websites and suggestions appreciated. I really don't know the first thing about them.

Never2Bknown said:
What kind of turtle--land or water?
In the UK, we use the term 'turtle' to refer to fully (or mostly) aquatic species, 'tortoise' to refer to the land based species and 'terrapin' for the semi aquatic species.

So when Def asked about turtles or terrapins, he did not mean ones that are land based.

The most common terrapin that can be found in the UK is the Red-Eared Terrepin (red-eared slider).

Needs land to bask on with a sun spectrum basking lamp, and water to swim & feed in.

Like all of its kind, it will need heavy duty filtration as produces huge amounts of poop.

Mine thrived on catfood, liver, prawns and turtle pellets.

They get pretty big and can become dangerous.

Def said:
SirMinion, can we get painted turtles in the UK?
Yep, a pet store here in ipswich had some last time I visited (about six weeks ago.)

Some species are now quite expensive, as importing all species of turtles, terrapins & tortoises into the UK became illegal a while back (due to fatality rates). I don't know how much a painted will be, but I'll look next time I visit.

SirMinion said:
Never2Bknown said:
In the UK, we use the term 'turtle' to refer to fully (or mostly) aquatic species, 'tortoise' to refer to the land based species and 'terrapin' for the semi aquatic species.
True--but only generally speaking. The box turtle is a turtle, not a tortoise, but it is a land turtle rather a water turtle. There are turtles that live on land.

which kind of turtles are you looking for? ..aquatic or semi aquatic? what size tank do you plan for it? basking spot?, do you have a good source for them so they dont carry samonella?

Never2Bknown said:
SirMinion said:
Never2Bknown said:
True--but only generally speaking. The box turtle is a turtle, not a tortoise, but it is a land turtle rather a water turtle. There are turtles that live on land.
Funny that, I've always know it refered to as the Box Tortoise. *shrugs*

Gonna resurrect this discussion. In Wharf's reptile section today, the guy told me that I could fit one of their small turtles into a 24x18x15 (ish) tank without problems. I could fit a couple in if I was prepared to upgrade the tank as they grow. This is totally contrary to the other advice I was given on the turtle forum.

Now if this was any other shop but Wharf, I would have ignored the guy. But the staff there really do know their stuff.

So I have an armadillo. Do I listen to the guy at Wharf and put the turtle in the 24x18x15, or do I listen to the guys in the turtle forum and give up because I need a 60gallon? I'm very tempted to listen to the Wharf guy, because it's going to be 5 to 10 years before the turtle will outgrow the 24" tank so an upgrade then won't be too bad. But I'd like to know the truth...

Sorry to post on an 8 year old topic but does anyone know if terrapins have any certain allergies?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back