turtles eat fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

turtles

Reaction score
I am very, very sorry for the topic but I thought it would get your attention.
I am a turtle person now but I had fish too. Still love them. Love angel fish.
I go to the turtle forums and we were discussing turtles getting parasites from eating fish and snails. I always go to the canals and catch my own.
Everyone was saying it was bad for the turtles because of parasites. If I
use .methylene blue on them, how long does it stay in their system and if they had babies, would they have the parasites? What do you do with snails? They carry diseases too? We are trying to find a safe way to feed our turtles . More like what they would get in the wild. Turtles are a throw away pet and not that much is known about them. If you can think somwhere I could find out this information, please let me know. I have alot more questions but I'll wait.

Unwanted pets- dumped in lakes and rivers it happens in england too I saw it on animal hospital, they drained a pond and found quite a few goldfish -_- -_- . I've only know a little about terrapins sorry if this is any use? :thumbs:

Once people find out how to care for turtles, they don't want them anymore. Cute when they are little but not when they get big. Just like oscars. People throw them in the canals here in florida. They do it with fish and turtles. ;)

I'm moving this to the oddballs section you'll get some more specific help. When my mate had terrapins he fed them dried shrimps which you should be able to buy from your local fish store - they'd be pretty close to what turtles get in the wild to I imagine :)

I keep both land and water turtles. Both like and eat fish. I get mine from a local canal BUT, I do medicate them prior for at least a week and then realease them into the back yard pond.
Once they have been living there they are safe and free of parasites because I have medicated them.

Now, as far as turtles being throw away pets, I would like to throw away those who throw away pets. just my opinion.
So yes it is safe to feed them fish as long as they are medicated and healthy fish. Also turttles LOVE anachris.
Danny

At one time I kept soft shell turtles (really neat critters).

I fed them freeze dried krill...they LOVED it. As a treat, I would feed them regular frozen shrimp (fit for human consumption).

During the holidays, my family and friends thought I was wacked out cause I would scavenge all of the shrimp tails that were to be thrown out.

Turtles loves these as well and there beneficial as the turtles need the calcium for good shell development.

If you post what types of turtles you have, perhaps I can give you a better answer to your question of foods!!

CM

I had sliders,musk and fla softshell. I know what to feed them but we are trying to make it safer for them. One of the guys was saying that when he compares wild turtles to a raised one, that he see a big difference and wondered what we were doing wrong or missing.
What Danny said helps a whole lot. What about snails? How do you get rid of the parasites from them? We were talking about giving them more natural food but all live food has diseases. When you freeze them, they lose something. I don't know if anyone raises snails as pets. ;)
I know I'm driving you people nuts but you have helped alot about the mecication of fish. We didn't know if if would work. I know we are as dumb as our turtles. :rolleyes:

Yes about 3-5 of ours members keep snails as pets and I am one of them. I find my snails are very healthy creatures and don't suffer from any form of disease or parasite, they are P. Bridgesi Applesnails (golden variety). I feed them fishfood, lettuce, a little bit of meat occasionally for extra strength/growth, courgette/cucumber/zuchinni and spinach, they seem to be doing very well on it and are having lots of babies the babies are taking longer than anticipated to grow though but I can hardly blame the food I was just overoptimisitc :) :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back