Turtle And Fish Together?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hawkins

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have seen a FEW people keeping fish with turtles - so i was wondering if its possible. if you search "turtle and fish" on youtube, you get one or two videos - the rest being "turtle kills fish"

so i was wondering if anyone has advice for keeping them together... like which to get first - what to look for in a turtle, etc

thanks

I have seen a FEW people keeping fish with turtles - so i was wondering if its possible. if you search "turtle and fish" on youtube, you get one or two videos - the rest being "turtle kills fish"

so i was wondering if anyone has advice for keeping them together... like which to get first - what to look for in a turtle, etc

thanks

I wouldn't really suggest trying it,

fish is part of the natural diet for most freshwater species, so putting a turtle in with defenceless community species is a definite no-no.

I did know someone who used to work with me who kept a map turtle in a mbuna setup, obviously the mbuna could take care of themselves but personally I didn't think this was suitable for the turtle. from what i saw each species stayed out of the others way.

I keep feeder Guppies in with my turtles. Some of the Guppy fry get eaten but the adults are generally too quick. I wouldn't suggest keeping anything else with them.

hi,
i have a turtle/fish set up and things work out fine(most of the time). i have a 5inch painted turtle cohabitating with three otos, four peppered cories a khuli loach and a few feeder fish. Honestly, it can be done, but expect to lose the fish that aren't "turtle savy". you also need to have a set-up that maximizes the fish's chance for escape. For example, my turtle's basking area is constructed from bricks and slate with little openings that the turtle can not get through. if the fishes are feeling threatened by her, they dart under the basking area where she can not get them. i have lost a few fish (do NOT grow attached to them if you want to try this set-up). she is particularly fond of eating the otos when she can catch them. it seems as though once one fish gets attacked by the turtle, the others become smarter, as in stay away from her. most of my losses were in the early stages of fish intro and i have not lost any fish in a while. i have never seen her go for a cory or noticed any nips to them. guppies are a great idea cecasue they breed like mad and turtles really should be given live food as this is their natural instinct to eat such food (not floating sticks all the time).IME, neons were a terrible mistake as she made short work of them! bottom line, if you have a hideout for the fish, they will soon outwit the slow moving turtle, but be prepared for some losses.
regards!

cheers for the replies..

i dont think i will be able to do it - with the tank being only half full, it wouldnt give the fishes much room.]

ah well, thanks!

hi,
i have a turtle/fish set up and things work out fine(most of the time). i have a 5inch painted turtle cohabitating with three otos, four peppered cories a khuli loach and a few feeder fish. Honestly, it can be done, but expect to lose the fish that aren't "turtle savy". you also need to have a set-up that maximizes the fish's chance for escape. For example, my turtle's basking area is constructed from bricks and slate with little openings that the turtle can not get through. if the fishes are feeling threatened by her, they dart under the basking area where she can not get them. i have lost a few fish (do NOT grow attached to them if you want to try this set-up). she is particularly fond of eating the otos when she can catch them. it seems as though once one fish gets attacked by the turtle, the others become smarter, as in stay away from her. most of my losses were in the early stages of fish intro and i have not lost any fish in a while. i have never seen her go for a cory or noticed any nips to them. guppies are a great idea cecasue they breed like mad and turtles really should be given live food as this is their natural instinct to eat such food (not floating sticks all the time).IME, neons were a terrible mistake as she made short work of them! bottom line, if you have a hideout for the fish, they will soon outwit the slow moving turtle, but be prepared for some losses.
regards!

hi loraxchick !
Can you tell me what is the size of your turtule and whats her breed?
Two breeds, of which i heared
Australian and
Singapore.
i hope size will also matter !

As far as my concern, here in india we need a licence to keep turtules otherwise it's illeagle.

My Sister Has a turtle and we plan on putting feeder goldfish in to free swim
for him and [other turtles we buy] to munch on when they feel hungry.

It depends on the sort of turtle and what fish you put with it, there are completely aquatic turtles (river fly for instance) that dont necessitate a large basking area a floating log is sufficient. Some turtles are completely unsuitable with fish, some smaller species you can keep with fish, I have a mississippi map turtle and I have sucessfully kept him with various fish without incident, however the maintanance on a turtle and fish tank is extensive due to the waste produced by the turtle, you will meed a massive filtration and be stringent with water changes to ensure the health of the fish. Although I do keep fish on occasions with my map I really wouldnt recommend it unless you are very strict with the tank maintance.

cheers for the replies..

i dont think i will be able to do it - with the tank being only half full, it wouldnt give the fishes much room.]

ah well, thanks!
U don't need to loose a lot of water. At my local place (bardills garden centre) they have ramps for the turtles to bask on which with a suction pad just stuck on the inside of the glass. Only need a couple of inches less water in there

It wasn't my idea but we kept a yellow belly slider at 2" with my cichlids and completely fine, the cichlids grew and so did the turtle and moved them to a bigger tank and higher in inches which we used to fill up almost to top. We had a long 8" floating docking station where he loved to sit and sun bathe with the tube light directly on top of him. He ate fry from convict cichlids which I used to keep in a net but he climbed in lol and ate them all except one. Before we gave him in he was at 4" just his shell and he one time bit my pictus catfish at the back where the body becomes skinnier and I think he did some internal body damage so we had to get rid of him, really active terrapin to keep. But can be fine with fish when small but once he gets big then its a never, only with bigger fish like Oscars or bigger cichlids.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back