Turning my 50g from artificial to real plants!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Planting an aquarium when fish are already living there is like a game of very sneaky chess

You plant it....hoping no-one noticed
Next day, its floating and the fish looking smug "Got ya!"
You plant it again.....hoping no-one will notice
Next day, its floating and the fish still looking smug "Saw ya!"

And so it goes on....this battle of wits tween the plant, the fish and your patience (with you constantly mumbling expletives under your breath whilst trying to outsmart old smugfaced fish) ;)

Planting an aquarium when fish are already living there is like a game of very sneaky chess

You plant it....hoping no-one noticed
Next day, its floating and the fish looking smug "Got ya!"
You plant it again.....hoping no-one will notice
Next day, its floating and the fish still looking smug "Saw ya!"

And so it goes on....this battle of wits tween the plant, the fish and your patience (with you constantly mumbling expletives under your breath whilst trying to outsmart old smugfaced fish) ;)

Haha it seems that way ! Iā€™ll keep posted and Iā€™ll be adding more plants too, hopefully the Fatherā€™s Day fairy will bring me some lol

I'm telling ya, use some aquarium safe super glue lile the gorilla gel super glue. Then you can go: "Gotcha"

I'm telling ya, use some aquarium safe super glue lile the gorilla gel super glue. Then you can go: "Gotcha"

Although itā€™s probably fine, Iā€™ll be terrified adding glue to my tank lol

Superglue is perfectly safe in aquariums....the gel variant is best since the runny one goes where you do not want it and turns white. As long as the superglue used has cyanoacrylate in the ingredients, you're good to stick anything and everything

I have it in mine for my java ferns and anubias. Works SUPER well. As long as you're using the suff made with cyanoacrylic it is completely safe for aquariums. It cures to objects in SECONDS. What you do it you take a rock out abd while it is wet, yes make sure its at least a little damp, put some of the glue on and then hold the plant on there for 30 seconds and it ahould have a good hold. It will fully cure while underwater.

They used to use this stuff to seal wounds on people injured. Thats how fast and safe it is

What a transformation!

Got some valisneria spiralis and ludwigia delivered and introduced them over the course of today

Looks awesome! Letā€™s hope it lasts lol

Just juvenile plants so lots of growing to do, any tips for fast growth?

Before and after pictures below

Attachments

• 882AB825-1CA1-4492-B39D-A7DF2B0B77A5.jpeg
    882AB825-1CA1-4492-B39D-A7DF2B0B77A5.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 38
  • C5C74619-DAFD-4AD0-A2B5-F3CEBB699C6D.jpeg
    C5C74619-DAFD-4AD0-A2B5-F3CEBB699C6D.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 39
Should I worry about small leaves and parts of plants floating?
If the fish aren't eating them, I would net them out so they don't rot. It will be a common theme for a bit while the fish get used to it and the plants establish. Plus, if you net the bits, they won't get a chance to clog the filter.

If the fish aren't eating them, I would net them out so they don't rot. It will be a common theme for a bit while the fish get used to it and the plants establish. Plus, if you net the bits, they won't get a chance to clog the filter.

Yeah Iā€™ve been trying my best to remove them, itā€™s also been a right pain, they keep uprooting the plants but not eating them. I guess just keep replanting til the fish are fine with it? Lol

Yeah Iā€™ve been trying my best to remove them, itā€™s also been a right pain, they keep uprooting the plants but not eating them. I guess just keep replanting til the fish are fine with it? Lol
Sometimes your persistence has to out last the fish's.šŸ¤£

Fish in planting is a PITA. Little buggers are like "oooo, what's this". I had a blue acara remodel one evening and tore huge chunks out of a red melon sword. I was so frustrated, I planted it right where it landed and he hasn't touched it since. It looks out of place but it is growing well. My tanks are far from picture perfect, I have plants planted with no rhyme or reason because of pesky fish. They finally are cool with it unless I try to add something new, then the process starts again.

Woke up this morning, 7 plants uprooted which ide consider pretty good! 5 of the 7 being ludwigia, these guys really donā€™t like ludwigia haha Iā€™ll also be adding more Java fern

As you can see from the photo i only have 1 artificial plant left, the large plant at the back, whatā€™s a good showpiece plant for the back of my tank?

Edit - ordered myself some Nomaphila stricta

Looks awesome :)

Last edited:
Woke up this morning, 7 plants uprooted which ide consider pretty good! 5 of the 7 being ludwigia, these guys really donā€™t like ludwigia haha Iā€™ll also be adding more Java fern

As you can see from the photo i only have 1 artificial plant left, the large plant at the back, whatā€™s a good showpiece plant for the back of my tank?

Edit - ordered myself some Nomaphila stricta

Looks awesome :)
Wishing you success.
At first I tried tying the ferns with fish string to the rock which didn't work well one small piece came off and was floating so I tried to stick it in a crack in my wood. That too didn't work and one morning it was just gone, no sign of it. The rest I took back out and glues it will Gorilla Glue and now just a few weeks later I'm getting many babies forming on the leave tips and already transplanted 2.
Also have some Anubias attached to my wood and it is held in place with push pins. They are growing well but still not attaching themselves to the wood.
Lastly I planted some Staurogyne repens and after I added fish I started seeing plant tops floating and then whole plants uprooted. I was able to remove most fish to another tank to try and re-establish these plants. That was a weel ago and things are already improving.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back