Turning my 50g from artificial to real plants!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Starting this journal to display my journey transitioning from all artificial plants to fully live plants in my African cichlid tank :) below is a picture of my fully artificial tank

Attachments

• 112F58CD-DF21-4175-B682-13C43984EB13.jpeg
    112F58CD-DF21-4175-B682-13C43984EB13.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 5E895ED9-2F37-43B2-AC54-7030397D1D32.jpeg
    5E895ED9-2F37-43B2-AC54-7030397D1D32.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 79
First 3 Java ferns added :)

Attachments

• 2BAB9278-C4B9-4407-8976-80091945F971.jpeg
    2BAB9278-C4B9-4407-8976-80091945F971.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 67
Add plants in cautiously and slowly... The cichlids may decide they dont like the plants and then you wated time and money... Then you get angry and no one likes to be angry. Hopefully the cichlids approve of the plants and dont shred them or keep digging them up... 😬

Add plants in cautiously and slowly... The cichlids may decide they dont like the plants and then you wated time and money... Then you get angry and no one likes to be angry. Hopefully the cichlids approve of the plants and dont shred them or keep digging them up... 😬

Well I’ve wedged them precariously in the rocks, hopefully they don’t shred them lol I’ll keep posting :)

Well I’ve wedged them precariously in the rocks, hopefully they don’t shred them lol I’ll keep posting :)
They honestly probably won't. They may try to shred it but java ferns have tough leaves and a bitter taste to fish... So they may TRY to and then realize its not the besr plant to shred up lol

They honestly probably won't. They may try to shred it but java ferns have tough leaves and a bitter taste to fish... So they may TRY to and then realize its not the besr plant to shred up lol

Yeah I’ve noticed them giving it a bit of a bite and small parts of leaving floating around for the filters to deal with it but that’s it. Also fish rubbing against them too lol

Yeah I’ve noticed them giving it a bit of a bite and small parts of leaving floating around for the filters to deal with it but that’s it. Also fish rubbing against them too lol
When they rub their like: "Ah yes finally!... Fresh natural leaves!" Lol

Plants still going well,

(New to plants sorry) are there meant to be brown parts on the plant? Not the whole leaf just little parts here and there

Plants still going well,

(New to plants sorry) are there meant to be brown parts on the plant? Not the whole leaf just little parts here and there
Mine get brown spots all the time... There is a way to get rid of them but they still do fine with the spots... Its when full leaves go brown you need to worry. They also get brown spots in rows which produce baby ferns. I get them all the time and there are almost too many baby ones.

Mine get brown spots all the time... There is a way to get rid of them but they still do fine with the spots... Its when full leaves go brown you need to worry. They also get brown spots in rows which produce baby ferns. I get them all the time and there are almost too many baby ones.

They aren’t so much spots more like patches of brown, on some leaves maybe 10-15% is brown

Yes, so basically when java ferns are placed in a new enviorment or if they're moved they may partially die out and then regrow. So dont sorry if some leaves die off, it will grow back. It grows kinda slow though
They aren’t so much spots more like patches of brown, on some leaves maybe 10-15% is brown

Yes, so basically when java ferns are placed in a new enviorment or if they're moved they may partially die out and then regrow. So dont sorry if some leaves die off, it will grow back. It grows kinda slow though

Okay awesome thanks :) I’ll keep this journal updated with more plant introductions in due course :)

Woke up this morning, one of the plants is floating around, perhaps didn’t put it fully in the rock, tried again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back