Turning a swimming pool into a pond

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

yvez9

you don't know JACK FISH
Reaction score
My friend as a swimming pool that looks more like a swamp since they don't care for it at all. He is thinking about putting fish in there
It is about 2000 US gallons

It has regular pool accessories and filtration.

I'm prety sure the pool filter would be adeqaute filtering as it is full of sand. There are outlets in the pool to provide circulation and oxygenation.

We would add a fountain in there and some surface plants to cover up.

Of course we would clean out all the junk and add fresh water in there.

In the summertime the temperature should be between 70 and 80 degrees.

I was thinkning small goldfish and koi to start it up and get the cycle going. Maybe like 4 5-6" koi/goldfish.

During the winter, we would setup a strong pump to agitate the water and shut off the filters.

Does this sound legit?

Got a pic, love to take a look.

I'll try and get one soon!

Right now the filter is broken but they will be replacing it within a week or so.

my main concern is winter time without filtration. I doubt we could let it run during the cold months without the pipes freezing over

snowyangel said:
yvez9 said:
My friend as a swimming pool ....It is about 2000 US gallons
Wow your friend has a pool? cool! Do you have a pool too yvez9??
I do snowy, and all my friends get to swim in it!
Maybe if we meet one day you will be able to swim in it!

If you put a prefilter on whatever pump you run through the winter it should be fine, whats beneficcial is that fish don't produce much waste at 4 degrees centigrade.

Something you are going to need is a pump the pool won't have much current which is one of the most beneficial things for a pond, you will have less water algae problems and water bugs, invest in something near +1000gph submersible is preferable for winter, in the winter it will prevent freezeing and with a prefilter likely support your winter fish waste. The pool filter may also need regular maintenance to cope witht the extra waste so it don't clog

Stock wise maybe consider three koi and several comets

So i basically put a prefilter on a big pump?

I guess I can use that pump as a water fountain in the hotter months and then just leave the pump running with the prefilter for winter.

Sounds like a plan!

I'll check out what we need to purchase then! Thanks for all your help

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back