Tubifex Worms

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GetItSahn

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently bought a new food, tubifex worms obviously. Fish in both of my tanks seem to love it, they absolutely devoured it once they realized it was food. I'm wondering if this is the kind of food you feed once a week or not. I would like to make this the main diet rather than the flakes I normally use. Would this be in the best interest of the fish? Are there any problems with this food such as too high of fat content or not enough protein or anything to be concerned about?

Thanks for your time, CJ

I think they should mainly be a treat once or twice a week, but have not used them myself. Hopefully someone with more experience will have a better idea :)

I feed my fish tubifex, they love it, I hold it under the water for a bit then break it up so the smaller fish get some, when I stick it to the glass its gone in seconds by the biggest fastest fish in my tank! Lol.
Its a treat and personally I feed it to them twice a week. I don't think it has enough nutrients in it as a whole to feed as their main diet.

I feed freeze dried a couple times a week. Don't know if you're feeding live tubifex, but there are lots of reports that live ones have a risk of bringing disease into the tank. Not worth the risk for me personally.

Best bet is to use Hikari BioPure frozen to be safe.

Most fish need a balanced diet. It is a good idea to feed a bit of an appropriate variety. Most fish need both veggies and meat in their diet. Even algae eating fish are consuming not just alga but also the critters living on/in it.

I wouldn't suggest it as a staple. Usually your staple should be a high quality flake and a high quality pellet that give a good balance of plant and animal matter. I usually use a high quality carnivore pellet and a high quality spirulina flake. Fish get one feeding of each a day, and get color foods, live worms, frozen worms and seafood a few times a week

rms said:
I feed freeze dried a couple times a week. Don't know if you're feeding live tubifex, but there are lots of reports that live ones have a risk of bringing disease into the tank. Not worth the risk for me personally.
I agree. I would give them a miss. There plenty of other foods you can feed fish.
There so gross.

My fish really don't like the freeze dried Tubifex Worms much, in fact I only feed it maybe once a month just to add variety.  

Ruskull said:
My fish really don't like the freeze dried Tubifex Worms much.

Most of mine aren't fussed, but my cory's go berzerk over them, which is very handy because the others go berzerk on everything else I try to feed them. They at least get to eat in peace with something... Considering a partition net, it's that bad!!

rms said:

My fish really don't like the freeze dried Tubifex Worms much.

Most of mine aren't fussed, but my cory's go berzerk over them, which is very handy because the others go berzerk on everything else I try to feed them. They at least get to eat in peace with something... Considering a partition net, it's that bad!!

Ha!  I have 25 Corries and 12 Rainbowfish in a 55 gallon, guess who gets the food first?  I use bottom API and Hikari bottom feeder pellets as well as Algae Wafers which sink pretty quickly or the Corries would never get any food.  I also leave the filter on when I put the flake in so the spray bar blasts the food down to them.
I might try some freeze dried Tubifex worms in all 3 tanks tonight in fact since they're all kinda hungry.............I'll post the results in a bit.

I feed mine  tubifex , daphnia , micro worms , blood worm & brine shrimp all live food aswell as flake & cucumber , I've never had a problem with live tubifex pick it up from Maidenhead Aquatics every week .

Well my angels and swordtails eat everything else I feed my cory's. Sinking wafers, algae wafers, shrimp pellets (angels go berzerk over shrimp pellets). This is why I'm considering a partition for feeding. There's honestly not much point in putting flakes in as they all just end up over fed and bloated... Little buggers..... 
tongue2.gif

Jamowens said:
I feed mine  tubifex , daphnia , micro worms , blood worm & brine shrimp all live food aswell as flake & cucumber , I've never had a problem with live tubifex pick it up from Maidenhead Aquatics every week .

Am sure that's the case for lots, but I still wouldn't chance it with so much else out there. And yes, as Wilder mentioned, they look bad.... :)

Well I fed all 3 tanks Tubifex only at first and all of the fish seemed to like it.  That must be the key, to feed the flake afterwards............

Either way, it shouldn't be used as the main diet for any fish, more like a treat a couple of times a week or so.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back