Trying to learn about Pygmy sunfish - struggling to find info!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Funny I should come across this post right after I entered my Elassoma gilberti bowl in the tank of the month contestā€¦Iā€™m new to keeping them- I just got 2 pairs 6 week ago. One pair have their own 3.5 gallon bowl, the other are in a 20 gallon long with about 3 dozen CPD offspring from last summerā€™s outdoor tub. Both pairs are doing very well. Males colored up to the nines in a matter of days. As mentioned by other posters, they are quite shy so lots of plants, rocks, driftwood, etc. will make them feel secure. I keep them in soft water (Gh 5, Kh 1). They apparently have a wide temperature range (ideally 60-75F but can tolerate 40-86F). The bowl has no heater (currently around 67F) and the 20 gallon is kept at 74F. They will not touch food thatā€™s not alive. I feed mostly daphnia and black worms. They donā€™t seem to interact with the CPDs at all. Iā€™ve already got fry in both tanks, but lots more in the bowl (presumably because there are no other fish to predate upon them). They donā€™t seem to eat their own fry, but from what I read online, they will eat other couplesā€™ fry (and larger juvies will eat smaller). Here is one of my males:
Wow! They are just stunning fish. What are your thoughts on keeping them with Pygmy cories? I have a densely planted tank with driftwood, bamboo, and a huge variety of plants in a variety of leaf shapes and sizes For cover, and floating plants with varying root lengths. If I recall, you mentioned in another thread that you bought yours on eBay correct? I think Iā€™ve found the same seller, as thereā€™s only one! I am looking at culturing grindel worms!

Last edited:
Wow! They are just stunning fish. What are your thoughts on keeping them with Pygmy cories? I have a densely planted tank with driftwood, bamboo, and a huge variety of plants in a variety of leaf shapes and sizes For cover, and floating plants with varying root lengths. If I recall, you mentioned in another thread that you bought yours on eBay correct? I think Iā€™ve found the same seller, as thereā€™s only one! I am looking at culturing grindel worms!
Yes, it was I who posted about getting them from an eBay seller. I donā€™t forsee any problems with pygmy corydoras in a 20 gallon. Temps in the mid 70s should be fine for both.

Yes, it was I who posted about getting them from an eBay seller. I donā€™t forsee any problems with pygmy corydoras in a 20 gallon. Temps in the mid 70s should be fine for both.
ok, great, Thanks! Were you happy with the seller? Would you recommend hem?

ok, great, Thanks! Were you happy with the seller? Would you recommend hem?
I definitely would. They arrived quickly and in good condition. I had ordered one pair and she sent two! The males were initially the same color as the females. I could tell them apart by fin size, though. They colored up nicely in a matter of days. Incidentally, our paths crossed on an elassoma forum and I learned that she collects them from a pond thatā€™s on her property in Florida. I wish I had a yard big enough for a pond!

I definitely would. They arrived quickly and in good condition. I had ordered one pair and she sent two! The males were initially the same color as the females. I could tell them apart by fin size, though. They colored up nicely in a matter of days. Incidentally, our paths crossed on an elassoma forum and I learned that she collects them from a pond thatā€™s on her property in Florida. I wish I had a yard big enough for a pond!
Oh wow! So are they wild caught, or she raises them in a pond?

Everglades Pygmy Sunfish
Elassoma evergladei

Size: 1.5"
pH: 6.0-8.0
Tank size: 5G/1 small group
Country of origin: United States
Diet: Live and frozen foods
Temperament: Occasionally territorial
Temperature: 50-86Ā° F

Description

Elassoma evergladei is among the smallest sunfish species in the world. These somewhat rare fish, though largely underappreciated, make for very interesting centerpiece fish with unique patterning, especially in males. These fish, like many other sunfish, are native primarily to the Southeastern parts of the United States. They make an interesting "nano" alternative to their much larger and more aggressive relatives.

Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish
Elassoma gilberti

Size: 1ā€
Tank size: 5G/1 small group
Country of origin: United States, around the Gulf of Mexico

B
anded Pygmy Sunfish
Elassoma zonatum

Size: 2ā€
Tank size: 10G/1 small group
Country of origin: United States

Description

These fish are slightly larger than the two aforementioned species, so therefore require a slightly larger tank. As for the link, it does not take you directly to where you can order these fish. Go to their fish list for details on availability.

It can be hard to tell the species apart without knowing where they originated. A really under-rated fish if you can solve:
a) feeding;
b) tiny fry size paired with a not incredibly long lifespan;
c) shyness, and sometimes grouchiness.

I would consider them in with pygmy cories in a jungle of a tank. I would allow temps to fluctuate though. I would not use a heater with this fish. You'd shorten their lives for no reason.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back