Trying to figure out how I can legally own an axolotl

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I contacted a responsible axolotl breeder in Washington, they said it is official they’ll be legal August first, and that they will start shipping to VA the first week of August! Then I picked up a 20 gallon tank.
That’s great news! I still haven’t heard back from DWR, but I’m going forward as well.

I contacted a responsible axolotl breeder in Washington, they said it is official they’ll be legal August first, and that they will start shipping to VA the first week of August! Then I picked up a 20 gallon tank.
whoever told you that it's ok to keep something that has the potential to reach over a foot in length in a 20 gallon is wrong.
what are you going to use to keep your tank at 60-65 degrees?
using a fan isn't going to cut it, a 1/15 horsepower chiller will barely keep the right size tank steady at 10 degrees lower, and that's already $500 USD...
it's either you have enough money for quality temperature equipment, or you don't need to keep an axolotl at all. please - do research before you decide on a pet.

whoever told you that it's ok to keep something that has the potential to reach over a foot in length in a 20 gallon is wrong.
Everything I’ve read (and I’ve done a lot of research) seems to suggest that axolotls grow between 6 and 12 inches with the average being 9. Many breeders and forums recommend 15 gallons (or a 24 inch tank) as the minimum, with a 20 gallon long (30 inches) being good for a single axolotl. If I ever feel like the axolotl is unhappy or hasn’t got enough space in my tank size I have the ability to upgrade.

For the temperature, I have been monitoring the temp of my 10 gallon, which stays at a consistent 73 degrees. Everything I’ve been reading is saying that with a fan blowing lengthwise over the tank, because of the increased rate of evaporation, they are able to cool their tanks enough to make it suitable for an axolotl. I have not purchased an axolotl yet, and plan to do careful monitoring of the tank temperature before getting one, and because I am a responsible pet owner and fish keeper, I will certainly not get one if I am unable to sufficiently care for it and it’s needs. I do appreciate your concern

Axolotls do not need cold water. We have them in Australia and they live in water that ranges from 2C-35C and they are fine. People that keep them don't use aquarium heaters and just let them live in room temperature water. They also do well in ponds that don't freeze over.

Axos only grow to about a foot in length, and most take a long time to get to that size. Try to get a tank that is 30inches or more in length.

Don't have gravel in their tank because they sometimes eat it. Sand is normally used or just have a bare bottom tank and let algae grow on the bottom glass.

Try to get a tank that is 30inches or more in length.
I got a 20 long, so it is 30 inches long and 12 wide!
Don't have gravel in their tank because they sometimes eat it. Sand is normally used or just have a bare bottom tank and let algae grow on the bottom glass.
Ok, I plan to get a very very fine sand, with a few large river stones

Everything I’ve read (and I’ve done a lot of research) seems to suggest that axolotls grow between 6 and 12 inches with the average being 9
i said potential, not "average."
no comment
30inches or more in length.
the standard 20 long is 30 inches but only just over a foot in width. i still believe that you need a tank with a width close to twice the length of the axolotl (so, 18 inches would be preferable).

i said potential, not "average."
the standard 20 long is 30 inches but only just over a foot in width. i still believe that you need a tank with a width close to twice the length of the axolotl (so, 18 inches would be preferable).
I do want my axolotl to have sufficient space, if I went with a 40 breeder tank (36 inches by 18 inches) and did a rock wall along the back maybe 3 inches or so to hide my filtration, do you think the space would be sufficient? In that tank size I would likely do a paludarium, so the water area would be shallowish but longer and wider than the 20 long?

do you think the space would be sufficient?
yes
so the water area would be shallowish but longer and wider than the 20 long?
shallow is fine, but i wouldn't have the water level under half capacity. it's your choice, but you have to keep in mind that the less water there is, the faster it will get dirty. (also, IMO, it'd look awkward if the water level was too low)

yes

shallow is fine, but i wouldn't have the water level under half capacity. it's your choice, but you have to keep in mind that the less water there is, the faster it will get dirty. (also, IMO, it'd look awkward if the water level was too low)
Ok. I am planning on getting a filter that moves 200gph (even if Im not able to get the 40 breeder and have to stick with the 20) so I will get a good turnover, and because it would likely be something of a water fall (in the 40) and I know axolotls dislike strong flow, I’ll have it spill over a wide, mossy rock, to help spread it out and gentle the flow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back