Trying again after 38 years or so...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sporkman

Reaction score
"Cycling" - wow, that's something... literally never heard of that until a few weeks ago.

I had pretty good luck as a kid with fish, had two tanks at one point, but part of that luck was having a neighbor who's dad used to breed guppies and having a local aquarium shop that gave advice. Also we heard somewhere back then that sharing some of the floss from each other's tanks when starting a new one was a good way to start off. No idea where we got that idea from but I guess it worked.

Have everything but the fish, hoping that with the internet finding legit and non-conflicting info is going to be kind of easy.. (nah).

Welcome! Prepare to become engulfed in the world of fish. You will most likely begin showing signs of MTS (multiple tank syndrome) within a year. This is a disorder that many other members have experienced. Lol. Good luck and keep us posted!

Welcome! Prepare to become engulfed in the world of fish. You will most likely begin showing signs of MTS (multiple tank syndrome) within a year. This is a disorder that many other members have experienced. Lol. Good luck and keep us posted!
Everyone here would love to give you some stocking ideas for your tank too!

Hello and welcome to the forum, i’ve never heard of cycling until found TFF too, we learn something new everyday :)

... Also we heard somewhere back then that sharing some of the floss from each other's tanks when starting a new one was a good way to start off. No idea where we got that idea from but I guess it worked.
Sharing the filter floss helps transfer some of the beneficial filter bacteria to the new tank. This helps speed up or even eliminate the cycling process because you are adding filter bacteria to the new tank. The beneficial filter bacteria live on the filter materials like the filter floss.

----------------------
Before we advise on fish, we require a bit of information.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

----------------------
Go to a pet shop and make a list of fish and plants that you like. Post the list here along with the tank size and GH, KH & pH, and we can go from there.

I started my first question over here in the "cycling" section:

I started my first question over here in the "cycling" section:

Anything weird about my question over there? I'm getting zero engagement.

Nothing wrong with the question. Sometimes the forum is dead with no response (or almost none) for a few days and then it booms and everyone answers at once

Sounds a bit like me came back into the hobby after 20 years - things I did in the old days never heard of cycling, used box filters just chucked the filter floss and charcoal out every few months and replaced with new wonder any fish survived.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back