True Parrot Cichlids, Hoplarchus Psittacus

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
At the back end of last year i picked up these true south American parrot cichlids and they looked like this

post-585-1196009255.jpg

now 7 months later they are starting to get a bit less shy and beggining to show their adult colours

parrot1.jpg

parrot2.jpg

parrot3.jpg

parrot4.jpg

parrot5.jpg

Adults should reach around 14", they are similar in stature to oscars

Adults should reach around 14", they are similar in stature to oscars
That's big....by my standards :lol: I know it's probably not to you, with all your other bigger fish you have :fun:

---edit---
So how giant is that tank?

Its only a 55g :lol: they are just babies

The fish in the big tank wouldn't even know they had eaten them, i give them food bigger than the cichlids are at the moment

What are you planning on doing with them when they get bigger? Breeding or anything? I've always liked these cichlids and considered some for my 125, but decided against it a while back. Maybe one day in a larger tank. :good:

Absolutly stunning fish CFC. They are easily my favorite cichlid so its good to see someone with a big group of them.
How are they getting along together? Much dominant behavior?

What are you planning on doing with them when they get bigger? Breeding or anything? I've always liked these cichlids and considered some for my 125, but decided against it a while back. Maybe one day in a larger tank. :good:

Hopefully a pair will form which i can breed from and the other 3 will either go into the 900g or be sold on

Absolutly stunning fish CFC. They are easily my favorite cichlid so its good to see someone with a big group of them.
How are they getting along together? Much dominant behavior?

The biggest most boldly marked one is the dominant fish in the group, it feeds first and pushes the others around if they sit in a spot it wants but aggression is pretty mild and come to nothing more than some playfull jaw wrestling for a few seconds.

Starting to look sweet mate. Nice little brycons I see there how are they towards the Parrots?

The parrots bully the Brycons a bit actually, they are super skittish and freak out if any of the parrots even go near them.

The biggest most boldly marked one is the dominant fish in the group, it feeds first and pushes the others around if they sit in a spot it wants but aggression is pretty mild and come to nothing more than some playfull jaw wrestling for a few seconds.

So a bit like sevs and oscars at this point then?

Very nice don't remember you getting them :good:

I think the hybrid ones put the name 'parrot cichlid' to shame compared to the true version!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back