True Love Never Dies..Or Does It?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Ellabee

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Aquatic Addicts.
I thought this may be of some interest. A couple of years ago, I decided I wanted to buy a couple of Blue Acaras. Their set up was sweet. 55 gallons for the two of them. Little did I know until after I did some research, that this species actually mate for life. How awesome is it that? The two that I picked out, from a tank full of them at the pet store, were actually bonded for life. And so friendly and social. Itā€™s because of them, I learned so much about mating rituals and the process of successful fry , even husbandry. The most amazing part of this, was the actual ā€œlove and dedicationā€ this beautiful pair of Blue Acaras shared. And I also had a bond with them. We wonā€™t get into all of that mushy stuff, but just to give you an idea of what has happened, and how it also affected me. I named the pair ā€œJack and Dianeā€.
A few weeks ago, I noticed that Diane was acting a little withdrawn, and her appetite was down. She stationed herself in a tall plant. As time went on she wasnā€™t interested in any food. Of course during this time I tested the water etc. I did precautionary treatments as well. I use Microbe Lift. For a couple of days, she would pep up. But eventually she stopped eating. Jack was concerned during this ordeal. It was like he was trying to tell me something was wrong. When I would get close, he would frisk at the front of the tank. 12 days ago, she died. Not a single physical sign of illness. With the exception of appetite. When I went to remove Diane from the tank, Jack charged the net. He did not want me to take her. It was so sad. He started becoming withdrawn. Not wanting his favorite foods. I decided I would add another Blue Acara. He did not want anything to do with her. If she approached the plant where Diane hung out, he would chase her away. I rearranged the tank a little, in attempt to interest him in a change. No help. Then I read to add a couple of fish of a different species. I added 3 Buenos Aries Tetras. No help either. Jack was heartbroken and grieved himself to the point being motionless in the corner. He starved himself to death. I tried everything I could to save him. He died tonight. I have to say that this has been such a sad and heartbreaking experience to deal with. I was attached to Jack and Diane. I just wanted to post this because I was skeptical learning that fish bond for life. And now I know, at least in this case, it is a fact.

Hi Fellow Aquatic Addicts.
I thought this may be of some interest. A couple of years ago, I decided I wanted to buy a couple of Blue Acaras. Their set up was sweet. 55 gallons for the two of them. Little did I know until after I did some research, that this species actually mate for life. How awesome is it that? The two that I picked out, from a tank full of them at the pet store, were actually bonded for life. And so friendly and social. Itā€™s because of them, I learned so much about mating rituals and the process of successful fry , even husbandry. The most amazing part of this, was the actual ā€œlove and dedicationā€ this beautiful pair of Blue Acaras shared. And I also had a bond with them. We wonā€™t get into all of that mushy stuff, but just to give you an idea of what has happened, and how it also affected me. I named the pair ā€œJack and Dianeā€.
A few weeks ago, I noticed that Diane was acting a little withdrawn, and her appetite was down. She stationed herself in a tall plant. As time went on she wasnā€™t interested in any food. Of course during this time I tested the water etc. I did precautionary treatments as well. I use Microbe Lift. For a couple of days, she would pep up. But eventually she stopped eating. Jack was concerned during this ordeal. It was like he was trying to tell me something was wrong. When I would get close, he would frisk at the front of the tank. 12 days ago, she died. Not a single physical sign of illness. With the exception of appetite. When I went to remove Diane from the tank, Jack charged the net. He did not want me to take her. It was so sad. He started becoming withdrawn. Not wanting his favorite foods. I decided I would add another Blue Acara. He did not want anything to do with her. If she approached the plant where Diane hung out, he would chase her away. I rearranged the tank a little, in attempt to interest him in a change. No help. Then I read to add a couple of fish of a different species. I added 3 Buenos Aries Tetras. No help either. Jack was heartbroken and grieved himself to the point being motionless in the corner. He starved himself to death. I tried everything I could to save him. He died tonight. I have to say that this has been such a sad and heartbreaking experience to deal with. I was attached to Jack and Diane. I just wanted to post this because I was skeptical learning that fish bond for life. And now I know, at least in this case, it is a fact.
I have a bonded pair of electric blue acara and there was a point I was going to move the male out to stop spawning but then learned of this from some reading and knew it was a big risk that the female would pine and die , sorry for your losses I agree to watch a bonded pair is amazing and dread the day mine pass

I have a bonded pair of electric blue acara and there was a point I was going to move the male out to stop spawning but then learned of this from some reading and knew it was a big risk that the female would pine and die , sorry for your losses I agree to watch a bonded pair is amazing and dread the day mine pass
Thank you. It was hard to see this. And it was trial and error on my part to raise the fry. If I had just left them alone each time it happened. I researched on what to do to, and lost them all every time. I now know to leave them alone, at least a few weeks. Then remove the young. They are excellent parents. It was amazing to see the dedication they had in raising and caring for the fry. I miss them already.

I finally understand what you mean by this....geez, I'm slow, lol
I still donā€™t understand what you meant by dusty in here. Only thing I can figure out is my thread is an old school experience. Lol

I still donā€™t understand what you meant by dusty in here. Only thing I can figure out is my thread is an old school experience. Lol
*watery eyes*

Like this ?

The same thing happened with my Bolivian rams several years ago. The female died and the male just pined away.

*watery eyes*

Like this ?
Oh ok. Duh.. Yep I have to admit I have shed a few tears during this experience.
The same thing happened with my Bolivian rams several years ago. The female died and the male just pined away.
aww.. so sad. I had no idea this is what happens with bonded fish pairs. Rams are my favs. I just bought a spawning pair of long fin electric blue rams, a couple of months ago. They are stunning. I sure hope I can get some healthy fry before it happens to them. I will truly be upset otherwise.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back