Tropical

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Ashkay

Reaction score
So Iā€™m from Colorado, Iā€™ve always been intrigued by fish aquariums little did I know how delicate and complex they can be. Unfortunately Iā€™ve had a few fish die. Iā€™d definitely love to get advise I normally go to petco but I feel at times they rush me along and dont help as much. Thanks hope to get some helpful advise.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

First thing, unfortunately you cannot rely on any advice given by staff in most fish stores, and chain stores are notorious for this. Always research through reliable sites or from reliable individuals, places like this forum, before purchasing whatever.

Do you have any issues/questions now? Nothing was specifically mentioned in your post, but there are members here experienced in al aspects of the topic who are willing to help.

Hi and :hi:
This is a good place to start in understanding the basics for a healthy system.
Another important, but often overlooked factor is your water hardness. Some fish need soft water and others need hard water. So it makes sense to choose fish that are suited to the water that comes out of your tap. This information may be available on your water suppliers website. Or you could take a sample to your local fish store and ask them to test it for hardness. The number we are interested in is general hardness or GH. We need both the number and unit to advise because there are different units in common use.

As to fish www.seriouslyfish.com is a good site for looking up fish requirements if you know the species you are after. Things to look out for include
  • Temperature - everything in your tank should be able to live in the same temp
  • Hardness - already mentioned
  • Minimum tank size
  • Minimum group size
  • Aggression
Happy reading :)

Welcome Ashkay :)

I'll agree with Byron, alot of bad choices normally stems from the information given at petstores such as petco. You'll find many here who will be willing to help you and between them all I don't think there's a single fish question they wont be able to answer. I'm sorry that your start to aquarium life has started resolving in a few of your fish passing on, it is unfortunate, but don't let it deter you, just make sure you do a little bit of research before changing/adding to your tank. Even the smallest things can have a huge impact if done wrong!

Again welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here :)

(Edit - I agree with Seangee as well, but he ninja'd his post in before I clicked send :p )

Welcome!

This is definitely a good place to come for advice:) I've learned a lot here

welcome, glad you joined the forum.
I'm still a newbie but I'm usually good for a joke or two!

Welcome.
This place is probably the best Iā€™ve found while pouring over the Internet in the three months or so since I decided to definitely get back into fish keeping after 23 or so years.
If they canā€™t answer your questions on here theyll know someone or somewhere that can. Used alongside seriouslyfish.com you wonā€™t go far wrong.
By the way if a fish doesnā€™t come up on SFs internal search engine try searching on one of the well known SEs adding seriouslyfish to the fishes name as they have a few dead ends over there which have been driving me nuts these last few months.
Best of luck, stay safe and enjoy the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back