Tropical World

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I went to Tropical World in Leeds with my family today, really cool place and they had some big freshwater tanks so thought I'd share some of what i saw. Points for people if they can name the species :)

IMG_2548.jpeg

IMG_2549.jpeg

IMG_2550.jpeg

IMG_2551.jpeg

IMG_2552.jpeg

IMG_2553.jpeg

IMG_2554.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg

IMG_2556.jpeg

IMG_2557.jpeg

IMG_2559.jpeg

Wills :)

I went to Tropical World in Leeds with my family today, really cool place and they had some big freshwater tanks so thought I'd share some of what i saw. Points for people if they can name the species :)

View attachment 163694
View attachment 163695
View attachment 163696
View attachment 163698
View attachment 163699
View attachment 163700
View attachment 163701
View attachment 163702
View attachment 163703
View attachment 163704
View attachment 163705
Absolutely stunning! Especially for a store!

View attachment 163694
View attachment 163695
View attachment 163696
View attachment 163698
View attachment 163699
View attachment 163700
View attachment 163701
View attachment 163702
View attachment 163703
View attachment 163704
View attachment 163705
1) Freshwater Whipray?
2) Sorubim
3) Flagtail fish
4)Pearl Cichlid?
5)Paraneetroplus breidohri?
6) Pearl Cichlid
7) not sure
8)humphead cichlid
9) Blue rainbowfish
10) Red belly pirahna.

It’s a sort of zoo rather than a store they have big tropical greenhouses with birds and plants in nice place
Wow! I'd love to see it in person someday...

The only problem was it was about 45c and so humid which was great for the plants and animals no so great for someone from Yorkshire haha
Wow... you must have been sweating over there...

1) Freshwater Whipray?
2) Sorubim
3) Flagtail fish
4)Pearl Cichlid?
6) Pearl Cichlid
7) not sure
8)humphead cichlid
9) Blue rainbowfish
10) Red belly pirahna.
LOL, blue rainbowfish. :)

-------------------
1) South American freshwater ray but not the small type that live in aquariums. The big mean bugga
2) some sort of shovelnose catfish. We don't get stuff like that here so no idea really.
3) flagtail prochilodus and a pr of Cichlasoma synspillum or something breeding in the back.
4) some sort of Geophagus type cichlid, looks rather tasty
5) assorted cichlids that would go well on the fry pan
6) Geophagus brasiliensis
7) Lamprologus brichardi and leilupi (however you spell it
8) looks like a 5 bar Cyphotilapia frontosa but I thought they only came in 6 and 7 bar? and a Julidochromis dickfeldi
9) Blue rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris)
10) red rainbowfish are probably Glossolepis incisus but could be Glossolepis pseudoincisus, depending on how big they are. And a clown loach.
11) can't really tell but gonna guess and say pirahna (pronounced pee-run-ya).

1) Freshwater Whipray?
2) Sorubim
3) Flagtail fish
4)Pearl Cichlid?
6) Pearl Cichlid
7) not sure
8)humphead cichlid
9) Blue rainbowfish
10) Red belly pirahna.
LOL, blue rainbowfish. :)

-------------------
1) South American freshwater ray but not the small type that live in aquariums. The big mean bugga
2) some sort of shovelnose catfish. We don't get stuff like that here so no idea really.
3) flagtail prochilodus and a pr of Cichlasoma synspillum or something breeding in the back.
4) some sort of Geophagus type cichlid, looks rather tasty
5) assorted cichlids that would go well on the fry pan
6) Geophagus brasiliensis
7) Lamprologus brichardi and leilupi (however you spell it
8) looks like a 5 bar Cyphotilapia frontosa but I thought they only came in 6 and 7 bar? and a Julidochromis dickfeldi
9) Blue rainbowfish (Melanotaenia lacustris)
10) red rainbowfish are probably Glossolepis incisus but could be Glossolepis pseudoincisus, depending on how big they are. And a clown loach.
11) can't really tell but gonna guess and say pirahna (pronounced pee-run-ya).

Good work guys :)

1) Was listed as a Motoro but I thought it was one of the bigger species as it only had a few orange markings on it, and it was so thick too! Would not be impressed if someone told me it would only grow a 12 inch disk.
2) I think these were Lima Shovel Noses, I've seen these in display tanks before but not this big! Really surprising!
3) Both right with Flagtail Prochilodus
4) Pearl Cichlid - think Braziliensis but it did have a red tinge so could be the Bahia Red
5) The biggest cichlids are Viejas the big blue tinged ones with the red stripe on the tail I think are Zonatus and the others are Bifasciata. I was a bit put out as it was labelled as an Amazon tank... The characins in the picture were some kind of Leporinus or Anostomus but not sure which species and a big school of really big Silver Dollars - not sure on species again.
6) Same as 4 :)
7) Colin is spot on with the Tang species
8) Definitely a Frontosa and a Julidichromis :)
9) Turquoise Rainbow (if we want to be pedantic :p ) But all talking about the same fish M.Lacustris - really loved these, big motivation for my future Rainbow tank.
10) They were listed as Incisus and I think that was right, Milleniums are not too common in the UK and only been here a couple of years where as these rainbows were big adults and probably a good few years old
11) These were listed as Red Belly Pee-run-yas but if they were they were the biggest I've ever seen!

They also had a pond with Black Pacu and Red Tail Cats in, hard to picture as it was covered in floating plants and only had a small dark viewing window - putting the fish first though which was great. The pond was massive too, maybe 40x20 foot?

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back