Tropical Parrot Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

are you aware that parrot fish are the subject of cross breeding?

• yes

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters
I saw a whole tank full of 6 to 10 inch parrot fish. I was stunned. My heart dropped when i saw close to 12 inch parrot fish till i realised it was a severum :L and id say they count as hybrid cichlids and thats it tbh.

LOL! I agree the Blood Parrot should be taken off the market. And replaced by its less - none deformed relatives, Mammons, ingots, King Kongs, and Rose Queens :D They are all Red Devil/midas Synspilum hybrids.

I don't think the site you listed is very credible. They don't know what a Blood parrot is made of and he says its not a cichlid xD

LOL! I agree the Blood Parrot should be taken off the market. And replaced by its less - none deformed relatives, Mammons, ingots, King Kongs, and Rose Queens :D They are all Red Devil/midas Synspilum hybrids.

I don't think the site you listed is very credible. They don't know what a Blood parrot is made of and he says its not a cichlid xD
it isnt a cichlid, its an alien :p. I didnt read it properly. Il check it out.

They look horrible! I know that there are a lot of aquarium fish that are "made by human" but still, these are worst I've seen so far.

I would never get one. Hopefully people stop doing this.

I saw no problems with the link? And dont be too quick to judge. Alot of the photos on the net are severe cases. Next time your at a good fish store. Ask to see one.

Those fish are not sold in my country for a good reason, so no. They are horrible, people are wrong doing that or supporting that kind of thing, and that's my opinion.

the fish in that link look scabby and ill.
yeah thats because they are severley dyed. my parrot fish is the healthiest and most normal one ive seen :) yours aint too bad either :p

the fish in that link look scabby and ill.
yeah thats because they are severley dyed. my parrot fish is the healthiest and most normal one ive seen :) yours aint too bad either :p
well i assume its a parrot fish. its a weird angle. if its a red severum then my apologies

I'm fully aware of the fact that blood parrots are disabled hybrids.

And I really don't like them. I think they're hideous and would be a pain to keep with other cichlids due to their lack of ability to move their jaw to fight back.

HOWEVER.

I don't think they should be taken off the market. Even though they're hybridized and disabled, there is a huge fan base of people who love them. And parrot fish are very hardy and even though they can't close their mouths, they can still eat fine.

Fancy goldfish tend to be much more mutated and disabled than blood parrots are. Some of them can barely swim upright. They are prone to digestion and swim bladder issues. some of them grow fins or head growths that limit their ability to move. And yet they're the most well known and popular fish on the market.

Even betta splendens species are overly domesticated and "man made"

there are plenty of domesticated hybrid and mutated species (don't forget long fin fish, balloon fish, and the like) in the market, not just blood parrots. And they're all just as welcome to be sold than the next to me. If people want to buy them and take them home and make them happy, more power to them. The only thing I don't agree with is dyeing fish.

I'm fully aware of the fact that blood parrots are disabled hybrids.

And I really don't like them. I think they're hideous and would be a pain to keep with other cichlids due to their lack of ability to move their jaw to fight back.

HOWEVER.

I don't think they should be taken off the market. Even though they're hybridized and disabled, there is a huge fan base of people who love them. And parrot fish are very hardy and even though they can't close their mouths, they can still eat fine.

Fancy goldfish tend to be much more mutated and disabled than blood parrots are. Some of them can barely swim upright. They are prone to digestion and swim bladder issues. some of them grow fins or head growths that limit their ability to move. And yet they're the most well known and popular fish on the market.

Even betta splendens species are overly domesticated and "man made"

there are plenty of domesticated hybrid and mutated species (don't forget long fin fish, balloon fish, and the like) in the market, not just blood parrots. And they're all just as welcome to be sold than the next to me. If people want to buy them and take them home and make them happy, more power to them. The only thing I don't agree with is dyeing fish.
you see this is where people get confused. not all parrot fish are severley disabled. just the majority. my parrot fish is very active and a great swimmer. it constantly uses its body weight to swin into objects and move them out the way to creat its own hiding spots. its a nightmare but fascinating none the less.

Your right. Like I mentioned before, not all are disabled several breeds of hybrids who have the same ancestry suffer no ill effects of the hybridization. The bad thing is that blood parrots are the fish of choice to be dyed and tattooed. The best thing we can do for our hobby is not to remove hybrids but focus our energy at removing dyed/tattooed fish from the market by informing potential buyers of what happens to them and that there color fades away anyway. The hybrids WILL NEVER go away, so stop fighting it, just encourage people to be smart about it. Dyed and tattooed fish can go away, it will take awhile but its feasible.

Your right. Like I mentioned before, not all are disabled several breeds of hybrids who have the same ancestry suffer no ill effects of the hybridization. The bad thing is that blood parrots are the fish of choice to be dyed and tattooed. The best thing we can do for our hobby is not to remove hybrids but focus our energy at removing dyed/tattooed fish from the market by informing potential buyers of what happens to them and that there color fades away anyway. The hybrids WILL NEVER go away, so stop fighting it, just encourage people to be smart about it. Dyed and tattooed fish can go away, it will take awhile but its feasible.
in all honesty i coudnt have put it better myself mate.

The danger of hybrid fish is that they can contaminate a pure bred population. Can lead to 'blended species'. This is why you should never EVER give your hybrids to the LFS, or another keeper. Always cull the hybrids you don't plan on keeping yourself.

Please read this!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back