Tropical newts.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I saw a couple of small red bellied newts(fire bellied) at pets at home the other day. They were pretty costly. I think they were something like £9.99 each. I was wondering are they suitable for a tropical fish aquarium, or would they start to eat my fish?
Any input would be appreciated.

£9.99's not a bad price they seem to be about £12 here.
As for your Q' I don't know sorry m8

Mmmm that's interesting. The girls at PAH didn't know either. they just looked at me with a blank expression.

I'd basicly say the should be like keeping ADF's but I'm not sure so it may be all wrong.

:) Drag, there are 2 types of fire bellies commonly available. Chinese grows to about 3-4ins and has a red belly.
Japanese to about 3.5-5 ins and has a more orange belly with dark blotches.
Fire bellies like cooler temps 68-70f, any higher and they become stressed and prone to infections particularly fungus.
Both types of newt require to access a land area where they can climb out and bask so a species tank would be optimum. They don't need a huge tank and 3-4 can be kept in a 20gal with some sheltered land area. They should be fed on a variety of foods e.g. bloodworm (frozen & live), brine shrimp, daphnia, chopped earthworms and repti sticks if they'll eat them.
If you get some make sure the gravel in the tank is of a big enough size so the newts can't swallow it.  :thumbs:  Mac.

Thanks for the good info. Mac. You've just saved me a fortune. I think for the moment I'll give them a miss. I have just one 5' tank in the living room filled with nearly 90 various fishes, most of them no bigger than swordtails and the tank is very well planted. In fact I have been getting Amazon swords flowering above the water surface. As for the 2 cambomba plants I planted 3 months ago, they have spread like wildfire. So I am very happy with my biosystem at the moment. Everythings is tickytyboo. I started with 6 of the common aquaria plants, and now I'm having to trim the trees in the water!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back