Tropical Fish Keeping Should Require A License!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

CrimsonBoli

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I was standing in Pets@Home yesterday (Buying chemicals not flora/fauna) admiring their fish as you do. I was 'overhearing' (eavesdropping) on this couple's conversation with the "'fish' guy" about their recently purchased Molly's that have died when they put them in their tank...
Anyway you get the picture, they had a water sample... The "'fish' guy" tested it and the ammonia level was similar to what the local farmer uses on his crops. Further investigation by the "'fish' guy" reveals they had cycled their tank and then washed the filter in tap water "which weirdly turned the water cloudy" after that.
Kudos to "Pets@Home staff guide to those things moving in that glass box of water" the shop assistant did a good job in not letting them have any fish until they fixed their tank.

There must be sooooo many instances of people culling fish accidentally because of minor mistakes every day!
(and don't get me wrong we all make mistakes, I had a goldfish when I was young in a tiny little tank with no filter
ohmy.png
)

This should be a thread of 'you wouldn't believe what I have heard in the LFS'

Any other stories/things you have... Proceed
biggrin.png

*I am not slating the couple, it was not their fault, they probably where never told

Actually we dont need licences .THere are just too many fishkeepers around and the beginners do always make mistakes.

Good thing we have TFF 
winner.gif

And anyone can buy an aquarium but only a few know how to properly care for inhabitants 
no.gif

CrimsonBoli said:
There must be sooooo many instances of people culling fish accidentally because of minor mistakes every day!
(and don't get me wrong we all make mistakes, I had a goldfish when I was young in a tiny little tank with no filter
ohmy.png
)
I used to work in one of those places and you wont believe how often things like this happens. tends to come down to enthusiasm i suppose.

the thing ive seen most comes down to filters and not being cleaned, ive seen a couple of people bring their filter in and stuff like the biomax is still in the airtight plastic bag.

I think people should be required to get a license before they're able to have children, but the people smart enough to get the license are less likely to have children in the first place...!

One of my friends was reccomending another friend to get a 1g tank the other day and I wanted to go in and say "NO NO NO" but despite having more knowledge of fish, she's closer to those friends and I have less of a foot in the field.

I did hear a couple being refused fish to stock their "new tank" by the Pets at home fish Guy after going through the paperwork check list they have, they were given very good advice and invited to bring water in for testing. On leaving the shop the bloke said to his partner "We'll go to the XXXXX branch (about ten miles away) and tell them the tank has had fish in for a couple of months"
What chance do you have with people who don't want to listen, and they'll always be out there.

ReddSam said:

ohmy.png
)
I used to work in one of those places and you wont believe how often things like this happens. tends to come down to enthusiasm i suppose.

the thing ive seen most comes down to filters and not being cleaned, ive seen a couple of people bring their filter in and stuff like the biomax is still in the airtight plastic bag.

Wow... That must have been pleasant for you!

DreamertK said:
I think people should be required to get a license before they're able to have children, but the people smart enough to get the license are less likely to have children in the first place...!

One of my friends was reccomending another friend to get a 1g tank the other day and I wanted to go in and say "NO NO NO" but despite having more knowledge of fish, she's closer to those friends and I have less of a foot in the field.
Haha that is tru!

Yeah where do you step in? Without sounding like an arse

KirkyArcher said:
I did hear a couple being refused fish to stock their "new tank" by the Pets at home fish Guy after going through the paperwork check list they have, they were given very good advice and invited to bring water in for testing. On leaving the shop the bloke said to his partner "We'll go to the XXXXX branch (about ten miles away) and tell them the tank has had fish in for a couple of months"
What chance do you have with people who don't want to listen, and they'll always be out there.

That's the sad thing - not the people who make mistakes but the people who really don't care about the welfare of their pets.

CrimsonBoli said:

Haha that is tru!
Yeah where do you step in? Without sounding like an jerk

I just politely said I didn't reccomend the idea.
unsure.png

CrimsonBoli said:

This should be a thread of 'you wouldn't believe what I have heard in the LFS'

Any other stories/things you have... Proceed
biggrin.png

There was another thread recently that told stories of LFS errors as well as customers, do bear in mind not to name names.

Makes for good reading though 
rolleyes.gif

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/424878-just-for-fun-whats-the-biggest-whopper-a-lfs-has-told-you/

As of having 'Fishkeeping Licences', well, a nice idea would be to have new 'provisional' keepers should at least go through a theory test like learner drivers do before actually getting behind the wheel of a car, but like a lot of good ideas, does not really happen or too difficult to enforce. 
nugget.gif

Sunday PM:
This actually made me really really mad.
Women with her kid:
The kid is telling mommy that the Betta fish is really cute, he wants one, he wants one a lot.
Mother asks the "fish guy" how much they are, then says she wants one.
The "fish guy" tells her she will need to put the fish in a bigger aquarium than what she sees, and change water every week to make sure it will live. The mother says that her kid will make it die anyways, so she wont take care of the fish. Then the "fish guy" tells her that if she feeds the fish and change water it wont die, it'll be fine! Mother says: Does that mean I have to buy food for the fish as well? That will just inflate my bill!! I passed a comment but don't think she heard me, I commented that the fish she was looking for would be found at a dollar store. The staff sold her the fish anyways, but decided to remove the warranty they have on fish (that the fish would live it's first 48 hours)..
I'm 100% sure that the fish is already dead today, probably commited suicide.

I asked the fish guy if he can refuse selling to people he doesn't think that could take care of the fish: He said usually he does but his boss doesn't encourage it.

I'm sad.

How terrible! What is she teaching her child?! I just can't believe someone would buy a living thing with no intention of even feeding it. :(

It's a sad truth that most people don't understand or believe fish have senses like every other living being.  Just look at the cruelty called "fishing" and "farming" of Pacific Cod and Atlantic Salmon or of the many atrocious practices Japan has against whales, dolphins and sharks.

I bet that same lady who purchases a fish with no intent of feeding it would likely NOT adopt a dog, cat or bunny with the same intent.  And given the same scenario with a dog, cat or bunny, that same store wouldn't think twice and would deny her the purchase.

Until fish are elevated to the same status as mammals, this is the kind of crap we'll continue to see in pet stores -- especially the big national chains.

These experiences are troubling and saddening.  
cry1.gif

Maehlice said:
I bet that same lady who purchases a fish with no intent of feeding it would likely NOT adopt a dog, cat or bunny with the same intent.

I'll bet she would if she thought she could get away with it but it's less socially acceptable to neglect a furry animal.  These parents just want something to shut their kids up for five minutes, I doubt she cares about any animal.

It must be soul destroying for the shop owners to meet people like this but I think in this instance he should have stood his ground and refused to sell the fish and maybe even ban her from the store.  Nobody who intends to starve an animal should be allowed to keep pets.

It would be great if the LFS sold robo fish, they would be just perfect for those to impatient to cycle the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back