Tropical Fish Hobbyist

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine has been around continuously since 1952. Many others have come and gone and there is one other magazine out there that is truly magnificent but also quite expensive. I have subscribed to TFH on three different occasions since coming into the hobby in 1965. The latest incarnation of this magazine is pretty dang nice in my opinion. The format is a large 9" x 11" full color on glossy paper. The photography is excellent and several well known authors and lecturers in the aquarium trade are regular contributors. This is my first issue of my new subscription and I loved the articles on Betta care and West African cichlids. No advertising except aquarium related makes this extra nice. $28 bucks a year for six issues. That's a bargain !
I think every aquarist should read the aquarium magazines when you can find them. It is very relaxing to slump back on the couch and read about fish at your leisure and look at the pretty pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 130
I have just gone to my book case as I kept one copy. I have the June 1983 addition. I have kept this because it has a very good article on under gravel filtration but it also has a great article on collecting fish in the Amazon. I have always been a big fan.

Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine has been around continuously since 1952. Many others have come and gone and there is one other magazine out there that is truly magnificent but also quite expensive. I have subscribed to TFH on three different occasions since coming into the hobby in 1965. The latest incarnation of this magazine is pretty dang nice in my opinion. The format is a large 9" x 11" full color on glossy paper. The photography is excellent and several well known authors and lecturers in the aquarium trade are regular contributors. This is my first issue of my new subscription and I loved the articles on Betta care and West African cichlids. No advertising except aquarium related makes this extra nice. $28 bucks a year for six issues. That's a bargain !
I think every aquarist should read the aquarium magazines when you can find them. It is very relaxing to slump back on the couch and read about fish at your leisure and look at the pretty pictures.
Does the article teach anything new that you could share about betta care?

Not read the magazine, I do have a book written in part by one of the people at TFH

It's a great book, would recommend for beginners in particular:

1630280560281.png

TFH publications was always the go to. I have the six volumes of "Breeding Aquarium Fish". But my standard reference is the "Handbook of Tropical Fish" Mine is the 1971 edition I think and I bought it new when I first started keeping fish. It is really cool as it has some color pictures in it.
20210830_114600.jpg

*Sigh*...the joy of a monthly magazine subscription, with that monthly pressie from the postman, that first scanning of the mag and subsequent relaxing sesh, with a good read and pretty pictures, facilitated by a beverage of choice.
Or even wading through a pile of your accumulated back issues...*Sigh*.

Kids today would NEVER understand! :D*

*Lordy...I'm gimmerised!:oops:

TFH publications was always the go to. I have the six volumes of "Breeding Aquarium Fish". But my standard reference is the "Handbook of Tropical Fish" Mine is the 1971 edition I think and I bought it new when I first started keeping fish. It is really cool as it has some color pictures in it. View attachment 142356
Ooooh! Colour pictures! Now there's posh! :D

Does the article teach anything new that you could share about betta care?
No, not really, but it does reiterate what you read on this forum and stresses that well cared for Bettas in a tank of 5 to 10 gallons is the best way to go. I think that reading specialty fish magazines, such as TFH, starts a beginner off on the right foot so that they don't fall victim to misinformation and that the veteran hobbyist has a source of recurrent training, so to speak. Also of benefit to advanced hobbyists are articles like the one on West African cichlids that I mentioned. This particular article was informative about scientific genus and species reclassification. There is a little something for everyone here, from plants and freshwater to marine tanks and biotope tanks. The Congo River biotope article in this issue was great and the pictures of the fish were beautiful including one of the Red Cap Moon Tetra (Bathyaethiops breuseghemi) which I had never seen or heard of. Add that to the article on Loaches by Joshua Wigert and I have a magazine that will take me at least a month of several re-readings to fully absorb.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back