Tropical fish care. I NEED HELP!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Harvey2582353

Reaction score
Hello, Iā€™m Harvey Iā€™ve just got into tropical fish keeping about 2 months ago and done lots of research on fish. I got my first 7 gallon fish tank about 1 week and a bit ago and got my fish yesterday and one died. I have 4 amber nose tetras ( now 3) one betta, two young swordtails, 2 snails and two corydahors. I was just wondering if you could help me out a bit on what to do. So far I have partially changed the water with a spoon and changed 25% of water. And checked the ammonia levels and it was okay.

Hi Harvey, welcome to the forum! What were the numbers from your water test? Did you do a fishless cycle or a fish-in cycle when you started your tank? Do you have any plants in there? What kind of filter do you run? You are probably also a little overstocked so a bigger tank might be in your near future if you are able to (it will also be easier to take care of, believe it or not).

If you don't mind giving us some more information we can help you get to the bottom of what is going on!

First, your tank is way overstocked. I recommend rehoming all of the fish, except for the betta. You can keep the snails too.
Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle, and did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Can you please test your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, gh, and kh? Please post your parameters here.

Hello, Iā€™m Harvey Iā€™ve just got into tropical fish keeping about 2 months ago and done lots of research on fish. I got my first 7 gallon fish tank about 1 week and a bit ago and got my fish yesterday and one died. I have 4 amber nose tetras ( now 3) one betta, two young swordtails, 2 snails and two corydahors. I was just wondering if you could help me out a bit on what to do. So far I have partially changed the water with a spoon and changed 25% of water. And checked the ammonia levels and it was okay.

7 gallon tank isn't really suitable for any fish other than a betta or maybe a few nano species.

With as many fish as you have in that small a tank the fish are bound to have health issues.

Having said that swordtails are live bearing fish which require hard water, tetra corydora betta are soft water fish.
Find out the GH ( general hardness) of your water.

Hello? You got responses.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back