Tropical Cleaning Crew

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mcguina

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I have just bought a 11 gallon tropical tank and was wondering what type of cleaning crew I should/could add. I am currently cycling my tank and am planning on having non aggressive community species only. What types would you recommend and how many of each? When should I add them in? before or after I add the fish etc? Any help/advice would be amazing.

Thanks

Hi

If you're having a fresh water set-up you need to post in the "Tropical Discussions" section :good: This is the Marine section :)

good cleaners for that tank would be cherry , tiger or amano shrimp . nerite snails ( they can't successfully breed in fresh water) , and depending on your substrate - if its fine gravel or sand you could have corys - group of 6 recommended or khuli loaches

good cleaners for that tank would be cherry , tiger or amano shrimp . nerite snails ( they can't successfully breed in fresh water) , and depending on your substrate - if its fine gravel or sand you could have corys - group of 6 recommended or khuli loaches
to add to what pippoodle said

ottos, some plecos most shrimps most snails. some mollies may pick at hair algae etc

Amono Shrimp: mentioned because they are bigger than most shrimp so less likely to be eaten in community.

Bristlenoss Plec: mentioned because they don't grow too big, they are fairly available, there are tons of plecs that would do the same.

Gold Gourami: It's a "goat" fish as (in my tank) they seem to eat pretty much anything edible all day including algae on java moss, uneaten food and even stuff you cant see. Not sure if they applies to any other gourani but thats how mine are.

Clean up crew in planted (community) CO2 tropical is a must IMO

Well, relative to marine setups freshwater tropical tanks do not have any "cleanup crew." There are no detrivores in the freshwater hobby, unlike many snails and crabs in the marine tank. You can get some things that will consume algae and uneaten food, but not detritus.

Apple snails are more suited to cooler water and not tropical. I can't find anywhere that states they eat detritus either.

Trumpet snails, pond/pouch snails, and one of the easier dwarf shrimp species. These guys can all breed to meet the demands of the tank.

my apple snails do well in tropical tank - temp no greater than 26 degrees
they are stated as being ok from 18-28 degrees bu7t when i kept them in my coldwater tanks they were very very slow unlike in warmer temps and they also breed more in the warmer temps

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back