Triops! At It Again....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ha ha there very cool to raise! you should :rolleyes: unfortunaly he managed to shed without me even noticing! little....and he shed before i woke in the morning!! so he is alot larger now lol, im waiting for the batterys to charge in my camera and then i will update some more with pictures! :hyper:

How long do triops live for? (Sorry if you already mentioned this)

I'm debating setting some up in my uni room. They said no to fish. And said I couldn't have shrimp cause they 'didn't want to set a precedance (sp?)'
But I reckon triops come under the same category as sea monkeys, and we're allowed sea monkeys :)

well, most live around 2 months but some can live upto 3 months, so yea i couldnt see why you wouldnt be able to get away with it? and of course when your first bactch die you will be able to dry the sand a rehatch again with that same sand!! thats the greatness of triops :hyper:

What an amazing coincidence. My term is 2 months long :) and he/she/they can always come home with me if they're still alive and kicking.

What is the minimum volume you'd suggest for hatching? I was thinking of getting something like a ferplast plastic tank or similar. So it's be about 11 litres...sound resonable?

What an amazing coincidence. My term is 2 months long :) and he/she/they can always come home with me if they're still alive and kicking.

What is the minimum volume you'd suggest for hatching? I was thinking of getting something like a ferplast plastic tank or similar. So it's be about 11 litres...sound resonable?

whoa! good luck hatching them in that :X if you try to hatch them in anything more then 1 litre of spring/distilled water they probs wont hatch, if you look at this picture,

DSCF0542.jpg

thats what you want to do first to hatch them, see if you can get a small 1-2 litre tub that will fit in the bigger tank, then raising them in this first, then you can transfer them into the larger tank when they grow abit :)

Oops, when I said hatching I meant raising.

Yeah I already planned to use hatching them as an excuse to order chinese food. The chinese food tubs are the perfect size for hatching!
Also, what sort of ammonia readings are you getting?
I'm in two minds as to whether to have a filter or not...

At the moment I was planning...
Ferplast Extra Large (11l) Container
Sand base
Hydor mini 7.5watt heater
And am trying to find the tiniest powerhead I can so I could use it and attach a little bit of sponge to it to work as a make shift filter if neccesary.
Also...light or no light? If it's not crucial for development I'll just get one of those cheap stick on lights you can get from pound shops and such.

Sorry if I'm picking your brains a bit...but you seem to know what you're doing :D

well, thats perfect ammonia readings get high pretty quick to be honest, im unsure why? in his first little tank they hit around 2ppm in 4 days!! but ive been told that triops are pretty good with ammonia however i still do water changes in his tank! i think you may get away without a filter but he will grow better with a filter.

also light ive noticed is VERY important at the beginning, it has to be left on for the 1st 2 days, all day and night this is to ensure the baby larva go to the top of there home. i have also noticed with my triop im raising now that with the light left on, he sheds and grow alot quick, i left it of one day and he didnt shed, come the next night i leave the light on (last night) and he managed to shed twice!

the setup your doing sounds perfect though, i would get a real weak powerhead as there not to good with alot of water flow lol ive pointed my filter right up agasint the back as the triop got into the flow and went slamming into the other end of the tank!

sand is great for them aswell, they will dig in this ALL the time, if you need to knwo anything else im happy to give advice :) make sure you pm me the link to your thread if you start one!

ok update time!!! i finaly managed to get a picture of his mouth bits....

DSCF0814.jpg

DSCF0810.jpg

ok not great but a start! anyhow look at these...

DSCF0809.jpg

DSCF0808.jpg

DSCF0803.jpg

this little guy is amazing! he is now longer then my guppy lol, i will try and get some more clear ones later :) got to recharge my batterys for abit long as they keep dying lol

well, i know ive already updated today a few times but, this was just facinating to watch and thought i would upload it, these guys alot of people would say dont eat plant/alges. well ive always known for fact they do, i mean there provided with green pellets! anyway i droped in a alge wafer which is ment for my corys and look at this...

DSCF0829.jpg

DSCF0824.jpg

DSCF0825.jpg

i mean wow! its really intresting to watch! im hoping he decides to eat upside down one day so i can get a shot from under him as he is really bright red under there now! i also noticed there is white areas in his legs, im assuming these are some kind of "bone" so to speak, very cool!

What a fab thread :good: my niece is crazy for triops & sea monkeys,so we bought her the argos kit,they've just started hatching :)

Hmmmmm you have tempted me I may have to try some of these :lol: He is waaaayyy too cute.(I think you have started an epidemic). Right to the internet! Or possibly Argos!

Very nice pictures razer121 are you going to try a drought period to produce eggs is this even required?

haha, thanks guys im glad ive got people into them! i think before i try the dry out im going to see if i can pull the pure eggs out, i tryed this before but of course i was not as experienced back then. i ended up throwing the sand out :( didnt relize i needed nutrients in the water! so im still unsure how to go about this, but i know i will be attempting a new type of triops next, and then when i find somehow to make the nutrients needed i will dry out the sand, would be even better if i can pull the eggs out!

Harlequins - have you started a thread?? id like to watch! pm me the link if you have :)

exspect an update later on tonight, really want to get some closer pictures of his underside!

More pics! Cant wait ;) Eyeing some in the argos catalogue and come payday next week shall try my hand. My partner does not understand how they can be cute :lol:

Lilcamy, not sure what tank you are planning to use. But I've found the perfect set-up in pets at home.

It's called 'My first tank' - £13.99 I think it was...
It's a 12l plastic tank with filter, all you'd need to find was a heater and a light (I'm going with stick on LED's...like the ones advertised on JML adverts)

Can't wait to go buy everything and set it up when I come back after christmas! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back