Trimming Plants

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dan123

Reaction score
Hi guys, I think my amazon sword has got a bit out of hand so I think I should remove some of the leaves, is it just a case of cutting each leaf as low as i can on the stem? will it grow back ok ?

At the bottom of the large piece of wood on the left side of the tank is a plant which has lots of brown leaves so I think these need to be removed, If i remove them will it grow back ok?

and lastly, the smaller piece of wood on the floor which has trident java fern on it, I'm thinking about removing this completely and planting some 'grass' type plants on the base of the tank, do you think this is a good idea and can I do this even though I have all my fish in there now ?

Here's some photo's

IMG_0432_zps4bb22b85.jpg

IMG_0435_zps1cc24697.jpg

IMG_0434_zps1ad8663e.jpg
IMG_0433_zps207ac0e0.jpg

Yes just cut back the brown leaves and any other leaves you want gone. As you said cut as low as you can. No these leaves will not grow back but you will get new shoots and leaves that will sprout from the centre of the crown. If you wish to remove your bogwood and replace with a grass or carpet then of course you can do so with your fish in. whether you should or shouldnt is entirely up to you.

I think your tank is lovely with the java fern and wood. It's a lot more natural looking, I think, than having plots of grass on the substrate. Just my humble opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back