Trimming java moss

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Naughts

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
When I trim Java moss should I throw the cuttings away or can it be put back in the tank? I'm thinking they don't have roots so will rot but I'm not sure. Thank you for any advice.

You don't trim Java Moss. You tease it apart and put it in another tank or attach it to something else in that tank.

I trim mine regularly or it just ends up as a straggly mess, the problem is getting the trimmed bits out of the tank as they don't float. The trimmed bits won't rot, they will just keep growing where they land.

I trim mine regularly or it just ends up as a straggly mess, the problem is getting the trimmed bits out of the tank as they don't float. The trimmed bits won't rot, they will just keep growing where they land.
Thank you! :)

You don't trim Java Moss. You tease it apart and put it in another tank or attach it to something else in that tank.
That sounds too fiddly for me, given that it is tied onto large pieces of wood and I am struggling to reach it in situ. Thank you though.

It grows without roots, why would it rot? Mine is tied to a piece of driftwood. I take the whole piece out of the tank and trim it just like a haircut. You can tie the cuttings onto something else or just chuck it. I disagree with teasing it apart. That would ruin the look of the dense moss mat I have going at this point.

I used to have it. I never trimmed it. I would just peel off a section and move it to another tank. If you trim it, you have the problem of all the trimmings floating around.

I used to have it. I never trimmed it. I would just peel off a section and move it to another tank. If you trim it, you have the problem of all the trimmings floating around.
[/QUOTE
It's over 8cm long and swaying in the current- not the look I was going for!
Just wondering if the cuttings regrow or die, as I didn't want to pollute the tank.

When I had this I used to trim it with scissors and siphon out the cuttings as I was doing it. A bit fiddly ...

When I trim Java moss should I throw the cuttings away or can it be put back in the tank? I'm thinking they don't have roots so will rot but I'm not sure. Thank you for any advice.
Does your java moss grow pretty quickly? Mines been in a couple of weeks and not grown much

If you siphon it out, it’ll work. If not, you’ll have a big mess in your tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back