Trigon 350 up and running

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Salts155R

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So after a while of planning and making up a frame for the 350 Iā€™ve finally finished and have it up and running with an FX4.
need to get another heater as this one is up to 350L so Iā€™ll run 2.
Now to plant and scape it 404732B3-78B6-40CA-B98D-D718E9DEBE7B.jpeg8F3781A2-1DC5-4BB4-BF72-98F0C87C5EB1.jpeg2DC757F3-0F0F-449E-A48F-70F856545230.jpeg05AD7764-C3EF-4DEC-8BFD-28A638F09AA6.jpeg

Almost a month between photos, itā€™s coming on nicely.
not cycled yet, nitrite still not dropping but ammonia drops from 3 to 0 over night.
2E87332D-2F91-411B-86D6-E8F3DCAF01C9.jpeg

Looking good! Recently I've seen quite a few stalled cycles due to high nitrites (apparently, if your api test turns purple before fading to blue it's a sign of "immeasurably high" nitrites. So just watch that as you progress :) pictures look great!! So excited for this tank

Looking good! Recently I've seen quite a few stalled cycles due to high nitrites (apparently, if your api test turns purple before fading to blue it's a sign of "immeasurably high" nitrites. So just watch that as you progress :) pictures look great!! So excited for this tank
Literally put the 5 drops in shake it and instantly starts turning purple ?. Iā€™ve read that nitrites to high actually kill the bacteria that turns it to nitrate.
Should I do a big water change and try and get it down a little bit.

itā€™s getting there, need to add a few more bits yet but itā€™s all progress

If you are following the method on here, nitrite shouldn't get high enough to stall the cycle.
Stall point is 15 to 16 ppm nitrite. You can check by mixing some tank water with tap water 1 part tank to 3 parts tap and test that. It won't be terribly accurate but if the result is somewhere on the scale it's OK. But if it's still at the maximum, it means that the tank level is 20+ so in this case I'd do a water change.

If you are following the method on here, nitrite shouldn't get high enough to stall the cycle.
Stall point is 15 to 16 ppm nitrite. You can check by mixing some tank water with tap water 1 part tank to 3 parts tap and test that. It won't be terribly accurate but if the result is somewhere on the scale it's OK. But if it's still at the maximum, it means that the tank level is 20+ so in this case I'd do a water change.
Iā€™ve done a 70% water change this morning and now Iā€™m back to 1 ppm on nitrite and nitrate has gone from 160+ to around 5 so now Iā€™m back at a decent level I can keep check on things better

Don't forget that the nitrate tester converts nitrate to nitrite then tests for that. If there is nitrite already in the water the nitrate tester measures that as well. Your nitrate may not have been quite as high as the test showed.

Don't forget that the nitrate tester converts nitrate to nitrite then tests for that. If there is nitrite already in the water the nitrate tester measures that as well. Your nitrate may not have been quite as high as the test showed.
This morning the nitrite has dropped to 0 so now I have full dosed with ammonia and will see what tomorrow morning brings, hopefully itā€™s fully cycled and I can start adding stock :D
It may be ready for tank of the month

Fingers crossed :)
Well the process continues, ammonia drops from 3 to 0 in 24 hrs no problems but the nitrite is still hanging on in there 30hrs later at around 2ppm so still a way to go yet.

I have had something to watch in this tank tho. Iā€™ve had snails hitch a ride on the plants, I was surprised they survived the high ammonia and nitrite levels but they seem to be multiplying and grown well.
Iā€™m not worried about them being in the tank as it will help with the clean up just strange how something so small can survive such high levels in the water

Pest snails can survive anything. The snails we spend good money on will die if you look at them funny.

It is said that two things will survive a nuclear holocaust - cockroaches and Malaysian trumpet snails........

Pest snails can survive anything. The snails we spend good money on will die if you look at them funny.

It is said that two things will survive a nuclear holocaust - cockroaches and Malaysian trumpet snails........
If they get to much Iā€™ll grab some assassin snails but Iā€™m hoping they keep the Algae down a bit whilst itā€™s cycling still.

never kept snails apart from assassin snails before as I had a 165L tank that had a massive snail problem.

do clown loaches eat snails ? Random question.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back