Trees Safe for Plants/Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FoxChase

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are there only specific types of trees used for aquascaping? My daughter found an old piece of wood in the desert in west Texas. It's kind of unusual looking and was curious if it might be safe to use? There is no bark attached and piece was quite dried out when I got it 2 yrs ago. There's also a burned area, I could remove with a grinder/sander if necessary.
Also plan to smooth out any sharp points & edges.

Attachments

• 20220305_084403.jpg
    20220305_084403.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 56
Some wood is safe for an aquarium, but some is toxic over time if not immediately. This is referring only to the wood species. The question of toxic substances that may have been absorbed into the wood over years is another issue.

Safe woods are oak, maple, beech; generally speaking, hardwood trees are safe from the point of the wood itself. It must be totally dead-dry. Conifers (pine, spruce, cedars, etc) are not safe at all.

The above applies to leaves as well as the wood itself. These articles are primarily about leaves, but much of the info applies to the wood itself:

Some wood is safe for an aquarium, but some is toxic over time if not immediately. This is referring only to the wood species. The question of toxic substances that may have been absorbed into the wood over years is another issue.

Safe woods are oak, maple, beech; generally speaking, hardwood trees are safe from the point of the wood itself. It must be totally dead-dry. Conifers (pine, spruce, cedars, etc) are not safe at all.

The above applies to leaves as well as the wood itself. These articles are primarily about leaves, but much of the info applies to the wood itself:

Thanks for great links and info!
Since it was found in a desert environment, I'm guessing it's not oak, maple or beech. A conifer is probably a safe bet, maybe cedar. I will save it for my fairy garden instead. 😊

Thanks for great links and info!
Since it was found in a desert environment, I'm guessing it's not oak, maple or beech. A conifer is probably a safe bet, maybe cedar. I will save it for my fairy garden instead. 😊

Good idea. I had a chunk of wood many years ago, bought in a fish store. I had no idea why some six or seven months later the fish in the tank were becoming lethargic and slowly dying...turned out to be the wood, it was identified as cedar.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back